𝐗𝐈𝐈|𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐂𝐀: 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐃

She fluffs her hair in the mirror making sure every strand is in place. She can't help but to examine herself. She keeps expecting something to look different. Nothing does. How can it not? Everything sure feels different. Last night was maybe the best night of her entire life. She changed the whole course of her future with one boy and one major decision. She's going to fight. For Jughead. For herself. Against Hiram. Nothing will stop her, she's going to get out. She won't mess up like she did last time. First she's going to have to get Archie out from under her dad. She also needs something vital enough to sabotage, to stop her father. It's time to start digging. She also needs to tell Jughead the truth about that first night. The when and how are the only thing that escape her. She knows it will not go over well, but she trusts him to handle the truth better than anyone.

Veronica looks at Kevin from her mirror as he patiently waits for her to finish. She's his guest for this interview. She needs some of his good will to make sure he keeps quiet about last night. Not that he has room to be divulging secrets when he has his own. She knows it won't stay secret long, but she only needs long enough to wrap a couple of things up. Hopefully Andy Cohen can earn her a lot of that good will. They walk out into the entertainment room of the Pembroke where Mr. Cooper is setting up for the interview with Hermione. Him being here is another reminder of another family destroyed by her own. Hiram buying the Register shattered what was left of Hal and Alice, and Betty suffered for it. Her parents corrupt everything. Veronica wonders when exactly Hermione lost herself to Hiram. How did she tie herself to him willingly? Why not Fred Andrews? Or Sheriff Keller? Hell why not even FP? Jughead looks so much like his dad, surely FP had to be a looker in school. He still is for his age. Alas, no. Hermione ignored all the reasonable men and drew for Satan. Veronica is also reminded by Hal's presence of what she just did to Betty, how she just betrayed her best friend.

Veronica listens to her mother lie through her teeth about her plans as Mayor. Every word planted by her father, and every world a bold faced lie. Veronica can tell even Hal knows it's all lies, but he's on the payroll. Another lodge flunky. Veronica sits next to Kevin and bears it.

"Now for our Register readers." Hal Cooper says. "Why would you, Hermione Lodge, run for Mayor of Riverdale?"

"Every year our population decreases." Hermione answers with practiced ease. She hasn't stepped foot in Riverdale as long as Veronica has been alive, what would she know about Riverdale's population? Veronica tries not to roll her eyes.

"More and more businesses close." Her mother continues. "We're at a deficit. We need to change that equation before it's too late. That is why Lodge industries has secured a bid for a maximum security prison on the Southside. Now that means jobs, economic growth, stability." Her mother leaves out the part where it destroys homes, and lives, and none of these benefits will be included for the people who actually live on the Southside. What about their stability? Her stomach rolls at the thought. She just nods along with the lies and Kevin plays supportive friend beside her.

"It'll give Riverdale it's future back." Her mother states.

"You know I have to ask." Hal says playing his part perfectly, if a little smug. Money drives most men. Money and power.

"You're building a prison on the bones of a school. Are you okay with that?" He asks. Of course her mother is. Because Daddy said so.

"Losing a school is a tough pill to swallow, but once our correctional facility is up and running, a quarter of our earnings are going to be funnelled into education." Veronica cannot lie her mother plays the part well. She can act her ass off. Maybe she doesn't give Hermione enough credit for also helping her forge her own masks.

"We are building a brand new wing at Riverdale High." Hermione finishes with the icing on the cake.

"And Veronica, are you gonna follow in your mother's footsteps and run for student body President in the upcoming election?" Mr. Cooper turns to ask her.