I pushed the handle of my door quickly and entered. I looked around; it was  actually a cool room. I started to unpack the little that I brought but then I decided against it.

I was about to lie down on the bed when I found my phone on the pillow.
But that's weird.
I remembered leaving it on the table downstairs

Whatever.

I picked it up. I wanted to send a message to mom because I hadn't contacted her in a while. I wanted her to know we were alright.

My phone wouldn't come on.
Well this is messed up.
How do I reach mom now?

I decided to go back downstairs to ask dad if he knew a cellphone repair shop or  something or if he at least had a  phone book.

I got off the bed lazily and opened the door only to see dad right in front. Huh. I guess he was coming to see me as well. He was holding S-J's hand. I crouched down to her level. "hey SJ, are you okay?, are you hungry"
She shook her head no "daddy's showing me my new room."
Then she smiled a toothy smile.
I stood up and followed behind them as we head to SJs new room. It's girly and pink.

Dad tucked her in bed and read her a story. It wasn't that late but she must  have been tired from the long ride. I knew I was
Soon we left her room with a soft click of the door.

I was about to ask dad about my phone when he started first. "Annaliese we need to talk"

I just dislike hearing that phrase, it instantly puts me on edge

" What do you think about Sally?"
I made a face and opened my mouth.
"REALLY think about her?"
My mouth shuts.
Well, I won't lie
"I don't really like her"
His face twisted up
"but she's probably not half bad, I mean I've only just met her."
I shrugged, Anna tells it like it is.
Hey that could be a name for a show.
He nodded.
"well at least you seem to be open minded about spending time with her"
Hold up man, I didn't say anything about spending time.

"but dad..."
" because I'm going away on a two week trip and she will be the only one here with you and your sister"
Seriously?
I couldn't even form coherent words. I just kept making sounds like " bu.. Bu... Bu.."

People, let's not judge TV characters who are unable to speak when an opportunity comes. It's not as easy as it looks. Shock takes away speech!

Dad smiled, hugged me briefly." I'm glad you're fine with this"  he started moving to his room"
but dad! You can't be serious. Send us back to mom then."

He had already entered the room
And mom was already on her trip.