I probably should have waited a bit before meeting her but come on, if dad could leave me in a house with yucky Sally, I doubt being in "Golden Boy's" home with his grandma would be disastrous.
It's not like she was going to murder us and take out our insides.

Hopefully.
I realized his place wasn't too far. It was also in the opposite direction. He lied that day.
I turn to look at him and he gives me a cheeky smile.
Both of us hold S-Js hand as she talks about her latest imaginary friend.
                       X
When he opened the door we were hit with the scent of  chocolate chip cookies. Uh yum.!
My favorites. Sj liked them too. We used to pig out on chocolate every time mom and dad argued late into the night.
Which was usually

I walked slowly inside. I heard talking.
"Cole you brought guests and you didn't think to call me earlier so I could prepare more cookies for them"
He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly.  " sorry Gran. Didn't think about that"

I giggled and that drew her attention to me "well aren't you pretty. What's your name?"

She's about Cole's shoulder height, So not that tall and she has one long braid running down her back, the same wheat color as Cole's hair.
She doesn't look so old but you never know.

I turned pink at the compliment and Cole's eyes narrowed slightly
" I'm Annalise ma'am "
She chuckled heartily.
" just call me Gran" she winked in a highly saucy manner.
"ohh and who is this little princess"
Sj shyly took her hand, I nudged her a little bit.
" my name is Sarah Jane but it's long so everyone calls me SJ"

" do you like cookies, princess Sarah Jane?"
Sj nodded enthusiastically and away we went.

It was a nice hour. Eating and sharing stories.
Gran was a plucky young woman in her day and even though I just met her I felt really comfortable in her presence as opposed to yucky Sally. In some ways she reminded me of mom. She could be really feisty if it came down to it.

I found myself talking about my discomfort in the house and how dad had left us there for two weeks.

Gran told me I was always welcome there along with "princess Sarah Jane"

"goodness knows Cole needs someone to be talking to"
He flushed red at this.

We left the place again with promises to visit again and extra cookies in a cute  bag she had given us.
Sj had also taken to calling Cole, 'coleslaw.' That made me cackle because once SJ got a name for you, that was your name for life