Ch. III: The First Trial

Both trainers took out their Pokeballs and readied themselves. Klara, who was in the midst of the crowd who were spectating the battle, looked at Y/N and scowled at him.

"I hope he loses."

Both trainers released their Pokemon. 

"Yipee! Oh, I just can't wait to see you battle your heart out! Aura Sphere!" Mustard exclaimed.

Adhering to its trainer's command, Mienshao created a blue sphere of energy and fired it towards its opponent. Unfortunately for Y/N, his Pokemon wasn't able to dodge the attack. Y/N gritted his teeth due to seeing the amount of damage that was dealt to his team member. However, his Pokemon quickly recovered and charged at its opponent while readying a strong Physical attack. The move landed and dealt a fair amount of damage to Mustard's Mienshao.

"Drain Punch," Mustard commanded with a smirk.

A green glow enveloped Mienshao's fist before it punched its adversary, causing Y/N's Pokemon to faint. Due to the energy it gained from the Drain Punch attack, Mustard's Mienshao looked more lively and eager to fight.

"He's good," Y/N thought to himself as he withdrew his fainted Pokemon.

However, the worried expression on Y/N's face was replaced with a more confident one due to the fact that the next Pokemon he sent out had a type advantage against the Fighting type Mienshao. He wasted no time as he immediately told his Pokemon to perform a super effective attack. 

"Oof, super-duper effective! Uh-oh, I smell danger!" Mustard exclaimed as his opponent's attack landed.

After the attack, Mienshao used Bounce and jumped high into the air. However, Y/N's Pokemon managed to dodge the attack and used the opportunity to counterattack the Mienshao with the same super effective attack from before. And with that final attack, both trainers now had one fainted team member each. 

"Ohoho! Looks like my little old self's been cornered. I'm getting the shivers!" The dojo master remarked before sending out his next Pokemon.

The Luxray roared as it emerged out of its Pokeball.

"Thunder Wave!" Mustard commanded before Y/N and his Pokemon could react.

The Luxray took a stance and swiftly released multiple blue bolts of lightning that were directed towards its enemy. Y/N's Pokemon was unable to dodge the assault and, as a result, his Pokemon stumbled due to the paralysis. Despite the disadvantage, Y/N's Pokemon still attacked the Luxray. Miraculously, it managed to hit the Luxray and deal some damage. Unfortunately, Luxray counterattacked with a Crunch attack, causing Y/N's Pokemon to faint.

"Not so strong now, are you?" Klara mused with a barely noticeable smirk as she spectated the battle.

Without wasting any time, Y/N withdrew yet another fallen team member and released his next Pokemon. Unlike last time, Y/N's Pokemon went first, and it managed to land a critical hit.

"Yeeek! When luck favors you like that, it's a sure sign you're a good trainer!" Mustard proclaimed.

Luxray performed the same Crunch attack from before, damaging Y/N's Pokemon a little. Then, it tried following up the attack with a Spark attack, but Y/N's Pokemon managed to dodge it. Y/N's Pokemon used a move that increased its stats and charged at the Luxray for another attack. The Luxray stumbled back in pain, and Y/N's Pokemon saw an opening for another attack. With one final blow, the Luxray fainted. Y/N had won the battle.

As both trainers withdrew their Pokemon back into their Pokeballs, Mustard exclaimed, "That was everything I hoped for and more!" 

"He actually won?" Klara, with an annoyed and shocked face, thought to herself.