Ch. IX: Versus Marnie

"Wait, are you blush—"

Before Y/N could finish his question, they heard a female voice yell, "Y/N!" as they exited the tunnel.

"Marnie!" Y/N yelled back before the two friends ran towards each other and gave themselves a high-five.

"It's been a while! How've you been?" the Dark-type user asked her friend.

"It's been great! I'm currently staying at the Isle of Armor and training at the dojo."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, it's a long story."

Before the conversation could continue, they heard someone beside them clear their throat. Naturally, Y/N already knew who it was.

Y/N sighed playfully before saying, "Marnie, meet Klara."

"Nice to meet ya! The name's Marnie," Marnie greeted as she extended her arm forward for a handshake, which Klara ignored.

"Klara," she introduced herself whilst crossing her arms and faking a smile, looking just a bit more annoyed than usual.

Marnie retracted her arm, seeing how Klara isn't exactly the nicest person.

"Sorry, she's normally cold towards new people, but she warms up to you once you get to know her," Y/N said while smirking and glancing at Klara.

Klara shot him her signature death stare as a reply.

"So, are you two datin' or somethin'?" Marnie, with a small smile, asked the two rivals.

Y/N, clearly flustered, practically yelled, "What?" as a reaction while cross-popping veins appeared on Klara's forehead as she tried to contain her temper.

"N-No! of c-course not! W-We're just rivals, nothing m-more than that!" Y/N continued to defend himself whilst waving both of his arms in front of him, blushing for obvious reasons.

Meanwhile, Klara stood in place and tried her best to not let her temper get the best of her. She was on the brink of challenging Marnie for a battle right then and there. While the two rivals were trying their best to hide and suppress their blushing face, Marnie giggled at the duo's reaction to her question.

"So, what're you lot doin' here?"

"We were visiting Hammerlocke, and since we have something coming up in a few days, I was hoping maybe you could help us train," answered Y/N.

"Sure! I'd love to see how much you've improved! Meet me at my bro's gym!" Marnie replied enthusiastically before she ran off towards Spikemuth's entrance.

"I don't like her already," Klara stated through gritted teeth as soon as Marnie left.

"Was expecting you to say that," he replied as the duo walked towards Spikemuth.

"Can't wait to beat her in battle later."

Y/N, noticing how tense and agitated his rival was, responded, "Woah, chill out there. You seem a bit more annoyed than usual, and that's saying something."

"I-I'm just a bit irritated."

He sighed, "Just don't get too mad at Marnie, please?"

"Give me one good reaso—"

"I'll pay for lunch!" he interfered with a smirk.

Klara scoffed and sighed, "Tch, fine, but I won't go easy during the battle."

"Wasn't expecting you to," he replied with a slight chuckle.

The pair continued walking through the town, examining the surroundings. Unsurprisingly, Klara wasn't a huge fan of the town's appearance. Y/N glanced at her and noticed an almost disgusted expression on her face. He wasn't surprised though, since he expected her to not like Spikemuth's graffiti and papers littered on the floor. However, he decided to not say anything since he wanted to play it safe and didn't want to worsen her mood. They continued walking through the town until they reached the town's gym. The first thing they noticed when they arrived was Marnie standing there, visibly ready for the Pokemon battle.