Ch. VII: Exhausted

"Hey there, Y/N and Klara! Welcome back! Looks like you nailed the trial! Congrats on finding the Max Mushrooms! Trial number two was no problem for the both of you! All my other students ended up getting lost in the forest. Turns out finding Max Mushrooms was the least of their problems! It's a shame but I guess everyone other than Y/N and Klara will fail the trial. Well, first things first, a proper meal! Let's have the Max Mushrooms made into a delicious Max Soup, shall we?"

And with that, Mustard went to join his wife in the dojo's kitchen, with Klara and Y/N following behind him. As the trio entered the kitchen, they saw Honey cooking what Y/N and Klara could only assume was the Max Soup.

"I've really outdone myself this time! Now all that's left to add are those lovely Max Mushrooms both of you've brought us!" Ms. Honey exclaimed as she stirred the contents of the soup.

Both trainers glanced at each other and shot each other a small smirk. Just then, a realization had struck Klara.

"Oh, but we only need three Max Mushrooms for the soup, don't we?" she asked, focusing her eyes back on Ms. Honey.

"Yes, that is correct."

"Master, Ms. Honey, please, can I ask for something, just this once?" Klara asked them.

They both responded with a simple nod.

"I want you to use my Max Mushrooms in the Max Soup! I really want to share my hard work with everyone here!"

"Oh, Klara, well if that's all you're after, then I'm perfectly happy to oblige! Though this is hardly the first time you've asked for something, and I rather doubt it'll be the last."

"Thank you, Ms. Honey," Klara said with a warm and genuine smile, which Y/N noticed as he stole a glance at her, causing him to smile as well.

"I hope you don't feel that your thunder's being stolen, Y/N."

"Oh, it's fine, I understand!" he replied with a smile still on his face.

"Excellent! So, we'll go ahead and use Klara's mushrooms today! It's just so rare for her to try hard at something. I really want to reward that."

Klara furrowed her brows slightly at the mention of her rarely trying hard at something, but she reverted back to her happy expression shortly after.

"You can hold on to the Max Mushrooms you found. I'm sure you'll find a good use for them!" Ms. Honey reassured.

"Oh, and don't worry! You still totally passed the trial with flying colors! Think of those Max Mushrooms as an extra reward," Mustard reassured him as well.

"Nice! Thank you!" 

And with that, everyone went to do their tasks. Ms. Honey and Mustard continued to work on cooking and preparing the soup, while some students, including Y/N and Klara, were setting up the table. After a while of preparation, everything was ready.

Ms. Honey announced, "Alright, everybody! Soup's on! The famous Max Soup of the Master Dojo!" as she set the large bowl of Max Soup on the table.

Everyone went to take a seat on the chair nearest to them, and that meant Y/N and Klara would sit next to each other for tonight's dinner. Surprisingly, Klara didn't mind sitting next to her rival, much to the surprise of everyone.

"Well, I'm famished! Time to dig in! Let's eat!" Mustard announced.

Everyone took turns getting and pouring their share of Max Soup, as expected from polite and civilized students. As per usual, Y/N and Klara were sneaking glances at each other throughout dinner, occasionally making eye contact, causing them to blush. After some time, almost everyone finished their meal. However, before Y/N could stand up and clean his plate, Mustard spoke up.