Chapter 3- The Monster

Loki is pacing in the cell. You walk up behind him. You had decided to run the interrogation instead of Natasha. You were tired of doing nothing.

"Hm. There's not many people that can sneak up on me."

"Am I suppose to feel honored."

"After whatever tortures Fury can concoct, you would appear as a friend, as a balm. And I would cooperate."

"I don't want to be your friend, I wanna know what you've done to Agent Barton."

"I'd say I've expanded his mind."

"And once you've won. Once you're king of the mountain. What happens to his mind?"

"Is this love, Agent (y/l/n)?"

"I'm married. He's an old friend."

"And what will you do if I vow to spare him?"

"Not let you out."

"Ah, no. But I like this. Your world in the balance, and you bargain for one man? You lied and killed in the service
of liars and killers. You pretend to be separate, to have your own code. something that makes up for the horrors. But they are a part of you, and they will never go away."

"I'm not like that anymore," you say quietly.

Loki slams his fist against the glass. You jump back.

"I won't touch Barton! Not until I make him kill you. Slowly, intimately, in every way he knows you fear. And then he'll wake just long enough to see his good work."

You turns away from Loki in horror.

"and when he screams I'll split his skull! This is my bargain, you mewling quim!"

Sounds of you sobbing fill the room. Your head hangs low," You're a monster."

Loki grins menacingly," Oh, no. You brought the monster."

You lift your head and turns to face Loki -- your face is dry. All of that emotion was fake.

"So, Bruce? That's your play."

"What?"

You begins to exit the room and say into your earpiece," Loki means to unleash the Hulk. Keep Bruce in the lab, I'm on my way," you stop and face Loki,"Thank you, for your cooperation."

You walk off to Bruce's lab with a smirk on your face. You just played a god.

****

You enter the lab alongside Thor as your husband is yelling at Fury," did you know about this," he pointed to a screen that showed plans for a missile.

You couldn't wait for there argument to be over. You needed to get Bruce somewhere quite and help him calm down," you want to remove yourself from this environment, Bruce?"

He laughs," we were pretty well removed in Calcutta."

You tried to reason with him," Loki's manipulating you. Let's go calm down."

"I'm not leaving," he said firmly before turning to Fury," I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction."

Fury points to Thor," because of him. Last year earth had a visitor from another planet who had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that not only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly hilariously, out-gunned."

"My people want nothing but peace with your planet," Thor defended.

"But you're not the only people out there, are you? And, you're not the only threat. The world's filling up with people who can't be matched, they can't be controlled."

"Like you controlled the cube!" Steve yelled

"Your work with the Tesseract is what drew Loki to it, and his allies. It is the signal to all the realms that the earth is ready for a higher form of war," Thor said.

"A higher form?!" Steve yelled.

"You forced our hand! We had to come up with something," Fury said.

"Nuclear deterrent! 'Cause that always calms everything right down," Tony chimed in.

Everyone becomes hostile and begin cutting each other off. You tried to get closer to Bruce but whenever you tried you were pushed back as they continued to argue. As they argue over one another the scepter glows strongly.

Thor yells at Fury," You speak of control, yet you court chaos!"

Banner chimes in," It's his MO, isn't it? I mean, what are we, a team? No, no, no. We're a chemical mixture that makes chaos.We're- we're a time bomb."

"You need to step away," Fury tells Bruce.

"Why shouldn't they guy let off a little steam?" Tony says.

"You know damn well why! Back off!" Steve yells back at him.

"Oh, I'm starting to want you to make me."

"Yeah, big man in a suit of armor.Take that off, what are you?"

"Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropists."

" I know guys with none of that worth ten of you. I've seen the footage.The only thing you really fight for is yourself. You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play, to lay down on a wire and let the other guy crawl over you."

"I think I would just cut the wire."

"Always a way out. You know, you may not be a threat, but you better stop pretending to be a hero."

"hero, like you? You're a laboratory experiment, Rogers. Everything special about you came out of a bottle."

Steve smirks," put on the suit, let's go a few rounds."

Thor laughs," You people are so petty, and tiny."

"Yeah, this is a team," Banner says. You can see his anger levels rising.

Fury turns to you," would you escort Dr. Banner back to his-"

"Where?!" Banner yelled. It surprised you as it was very unlike him," you rented my room!"

"The cell was just-"

"In case you needed to kill me. But you can't, I know, I tried!"He stops, everyone is staring at him. You freeze and tears threaten to fall. You knew what he was about to say. You're the one that had to stop the hulk and had to help Bruce pull himself out of that dark place.

"I got low. I didn't see an end so I put a bullet in my mouth and the other guy spit it out. So I moved on, I focused on helping other people, on my family. I was good until you dragged us back into this freak show and put everyone here at risk. You wanna know my secret? You wanna know how I stay calm?"

Everyone is watching Banner, Fury and Natasha reach for their guns.

You speak," Honey, put down the scepter."

Banner looks down, surprised, to see the spear in his hand.The monitor makes a noise, signaling the Tesseract has been located. Banner puts the scepter back on the table and walks over to the screen on the other side of the room.

"Got it!" Fury says.

"Sorry, kids. You don't get to see my party trick after all," Bruce says. You let out a breath you didn't know you were holding.

"Located the Tesseract?" Thor asked

"I can get there faster," Tony says

"Look, all of us-" Steve is cut off by Thor

"The Tesseract belongs on Asgard, no human is a match for it."

Stark turns to leave and Rogers holds him back," You're not going alone!"

Tony smacks his hand," You gonna stop me?"

"Put on the suit, let's find out!"

"I'm not afraid to hit an old man."

"Put on the suit."

Banner sees something on the monitor," Oh-my-god."