03

Hide and Death

“Wanna play, hide and death?”

The impatient ticking sound of the wall clock filled the whole room. The dim light from the post across the street was the only light to be seen. The cold air that passes through the open window make the curtains danced on a slow, rhythmic tempo.
I can't sleep. It's already 2:45 in the morning, but dreamland haven't visited me yet.
Mom and Dad went out to visit my sister at my aunt's house, leaving me here all by myself.
Thirst creep up my throat, so I've decided to went down to the kitchen to drink some water.
As soon as I stepped my feet out of the door, dead–air silence greeted me with a cold hug. Its totally dark, but I've managed to adjust my eyes to see through the darkness. Afraid, I continued walking down the stairs. When I've reached the kitchen, I immediately grab a glass and fetch some cold water from the fridge.
A knock on the door made my feet stop from climbing up the stairs. My heart suddenly thumped fast and my breathing became raged.

Who would dare to knock in this hour?
Of course, it wouldn't be my parents.

The howling of the neighbor's dog and the continuous knocking on the door, makes me want to regret my decision not to go with my parents. I silently stood in front of the wooden door, waiting for someone or something to just suddenly appeared and straddled me to death.

The knock turn into a loud banging of the door. I want to run, but my feet was stuck, like it was glued.
I felt paralyzed. I can't move my body to run or call my parents for help. I just stood there like a stupid suicidal.

Then it stop. Seconds passed before I heard inaudible words coming from the door. I slowly walked towards it and pinned my ears in able for me to hear clearly.

"Open the door, sweety. Let's have some fun. Wanna play, hide and death?"

My body trembled upon hearing the man's terrifying voice. I want to shout for help but there's no audible words that wants to comes out from my slightly open mouth and my heartbeats raced like there's no tomorrow.
My eyes widen and I shouted in terror when the door creaked open. An unfamiliar ugly face of a man, grinning from ear to ear, holding a deadly metal, appeared.
He pointed the cold metal directly on my direction, pulled the triggered, and a loud bang ended my whole consciousness.

I woke up catching my breath, feeling thirsty with sweat all over my body.

I'm glad its all just a nightmare.

I glanced at the wall clock and my whole body stiffened, seeing the time to be 2:46 am.
A loud knock from my door made my heart beats wild and my body tremble.
And just like in my dream, I've heard again the most terrifying voice that will haunt me even in my death.

"Wanna play, hide and death?"