sixteen

Everyone had wanted to celebrate Crypto's first win when they returned but the hacker had completely disappeared, probably sensing their intentions.

Natalie didn't really mind since it had been some time since she was in a lab and she wanted to work on some projects.

"Vio, is it okay if I go work in the lab today?" she asked, looking up at him and he hummed. "Of course. If you need to be alone just let me know. We don't have to be around each other all the time." he smiled and she smiled back. "Merci. But I don't mind being around you all the time. You're fun." she said and he grinned.

"Gracias princesa. I'll be doing something crazy if you need me. Don't forget to eat." he said, caressing her face lightly and she blushed as he finally pulled away, going toward their room.

Her heart fluttered and she smiled giddily as she skipped off toward her and Mr. Nox's shared lab. Ajay would come in sometimes to work on D.O.C and they would sit in a pleasant silence, sometimes even commenting on each other's work.

When she entered the lab she started to go to her station, when she spotted Crypto in the corner, working on his drone.

He didn't glance up at her and she decided that she would leave him alone. As long as he wasn't saying anything to her, she didn't have a reason to be upset.

She sat down at her station and carefully placed her pylon on the table. She wanted to see if she could make it any faster. She noticed that even though it was hard to break, it was slow in bringing back her team members' shields. She needed to change that so they wouldn't be stuck when it was time to leave for the ring or if an enemy was close.

"That pylon...it isn't new." said Crypto suddenly and Natalie nodded, distracted. "Non. It's not. My father helped me make it when I was a child. I've had it ever since. I just keep upgrading it. Making it better." she replied, unscrewing the top half carefully.

She didn't notice that Crypto had gotten up and was now beside her, watching with curious eyes.

"That scar on your cheek, did you get hurt while working on it?" he asked and she nodded again. "Oui. But it was a long time ago. It doesn't hurt now." she murmured and it was silent as he watched her work. What she was doing looked extremely complicated, even to a technological genius like himself.

He doubted anyone else could create something like that but her.

Which still made him question, how she could date someone like Octavio? Sure there weren't many options between the Legends as Elliot was also an idiot and Makoa was...well, Makoa. Alexander, or Mr. Nox, was older and Pathfinder was a robot but she could at least find someone on her level if not slightly below.

Like himself.

Octavio was..

Was everything she wasn't.

He was loud and energetic, most likely totally absorbed in himself and his fans and was addicted to stim. Crypto suspected the only reason he could even continue taking it so much was because of the planet he came from.

He had to want attention because he never took off his mask and goggles and he's obviously not right in the head. Crypto heard how he blew off his legs for a world record breaking stunt and no sane person would do that. Even if they are a professional.

"You seem to be thinking." she said suddenly and he blinked.

"I just don't understand." he replied slowly and she looked over at him, tensing up when she saw how close he was.

"Understand how my pylon works?" she questioned and he shook his head once.

"How of all the Legends you could've liked, you settled for Octavio."