Chapter 25- Tree Carving

Dolores sat between Five and Klaus in the front of the car. She watched all the cars and examined the specks of color in the leaves that flew past as Five exceeded the speed limit. Diego and Luther were squished in the back seat, exchanging a few awkward glances.

Five kept one hand on the steering wheel and the other delicately placed on Dolores's thigh. Every now and then she would slip her hand under his but get distracted and remove it. It was obvious that this was normal for the couple.

Luther leaned over Five's seat making Dolores nudge over to Klaus's side.

"Can you go any faster?" Five tightened his grip on the steering wheel, making sure not to do the same to Dolores's leg.

"Ask me again and I'll burn you with the cigarette lighter." Luther retreated back into his seat and remained silent.

•••••

Dolores lagged behind the group as they rushed to the house. It all seemed so familiar. She walked up to a tree and placed her hand on it. The bark ran under her fingers as she circled around it. There was a carving in the wood.

Ellie and Harold

She gasped and ran to catch up with the group. She skidded to a stop, almost tripping as she climbed the stairs. The thousands of ladybugs that she felt before had returned to the deepest part of her chest. The feeling only grew worse as she watched blood hush out of Allison's throat.

Now she could hardly breathe. Five turned her away and pulled her into his chest. She didn't cry, she didn't do anything. She only suffered her anxieties in silence as basked in the warmth of Five's arms.