Chapter 5 - The Oath of Commitment

Recap from Chapter 4:

In gist, the evacuation centre was overwhelmed and in a hot mess after lock down was activated. They would be settling in at their designated partitioned space. The news on one of the three "lock down" teams was hurt by the falling asteroid debris had reached them. Both asked Eon Jin to stay safe and listen to Tae Pyung's suggestions. Just before they hung up, Mi Hee asked for her future son-in-law to be on the line.

~ end of recap.

Tae Pyung stood at attention and received the phone respectfully.

"Eomeonim."

"Tae Pyung ah, or should I call you Kim Seobang?" Mi Hee paused to organise her engulfing emotions.

"Eomeonim, it's my utmost honour for you to address me anything at your preference."

"Eomeonim... Eomeonim needs to... officially placed my beloved elder daughter's hands in yours, before it's too late. Eomeonim doesn't understand what are you and Eon Jin's contemplations on marriage. But you two are taking way too long."

"Eomeonim, my apologies, I should have given a serious thought, instead of letting Eomeonim bring it up."

He had dated Eon Jin for 8 years. He was away, sailing most of the first few years. He was occupied with rising up the ranks, so that he could provide for their future comfortably, never had to worry about finances, like when he was younger. He was thankful to share the same energy as Eon Jin, who was also focused on her dream career. Finally in the last couple of years, he wanted to marry her so badly, they were all caught up in this catastrophe.

It was indeed his lapse. He was taking too much of a backseat, being too contented with their relationship.

Somewhat Tae Pyung procrastinated in dread of disapproval too, because he wasn't Mi Hee's ideal son-in-law.

In the beginning, Mi Hee never objected Eon Jin from being close with Tae Pyung per se, nor she was supportive of their courtship. Her late husband even joked that Tae Pyung could possibly be the best son-in-law candidate, because Eon Jin would never be caught in difficult parents-in-law discords. Nonetheless, coming from a reputable family clan, well known in Busan for their wealth and social status, Chang Mi Hee's son-in-law had better to come from a decent, intact family.

Tae Pyung overheard the elder's private conversation much earlier during their university years, when he passed by the backyard to Eon Jin's house. He hurriedly walked away, partly in disappointment and partly hoping not to be caught by the elders for eavesdropping.

"Eomeonim is afraid that I do not have another appropriate chance to tell you. Eon Jin's Appa told me something before his sudden demise," as though the mention of her later husband still stirred her grief, she took a deep breath to recompose herself.

"He said, Tae Pyung is the man, I can leave Eon Jin with, in safe hands. I dismissed it then, because I thought you two were still young then. Eon Jin's Appa saw it in you back then, just like I do right now."

This was later half of the sentence he missed hearing from Ajeossi, Eon Jin's Appa, and also a fatherly character whom he revered. He was so remorseful for not stepping up earlier, despite the elders having so much good faith in him.

"Eomeonim, Eon Jin will be safe, as long as she's in my sight, I will protect her. I promised you."

Tae Pyung bowed reflexively when the call ended and passed the phone back to Eon Jin.

For the next few minutes, she could not help but tease her beau persistently, for being so tensed when talking to her mother and to fish for the context of the phone conversation.