Chapter 16 - The Lonely Silence

Recap from Chapter 15:

Their goodbye was silent. So much so Eon Jin felt engulfed in the perpetual muteness, as she surfaced for air.

She was all alone.

She swiftly belayed herself onto the pipes and swam ahead. The currents were to her favour but milder in the gush owing to the blockade at the entrance to the canal.

The depth was at manageable 2m which could step up or down into deeper or shallower levels. She was focused on paddling forward.

~ end of recap

After sending Eon Jin off, Tae Pyung was left with nothingness, a quiet which was deafening and crushing his soul. He felt chills from his fever almost instantly.

He got up from the waters to the dry area feebly. He could finally take a break.

Every bone and muscle in him protested in agony

Every bone and muscle in him protested in agony. If he were to doze off in his wet suit, he might become hypothermic.

He tried to shake the light headedness away and battle to keep himself awake.

His queen's decree rang in his mind on a replay loop.

"Stay alive, Kim Tae Pyung."

Reluctantly and frailly, he changed out to his dry attire. He tried to recover some essentials from his damaged bag to survive the wait - the sleeping bag, bottle and water purification tablet. He scooped water from the canal and dropped in the tablet.

He gulped down the water to ease his burning throat and he fell into a deep slumber in the warm afternoon rays.

It was nightfall when he stirred from his nap in the sinking chills of autumn breeze

It was nightfall when he stirred from his nap in the sinking chills of autumn breeze. He sat up and rested against the cold concrete wall. Then, he reached for his bottle and drank to moist his system.

His mind was clearer though he was aware of the persistent fever. His watch told 8pm. It had been almost 3 hours since his sweetheart set off. She had covered more or less 75% of the route.