Chapter Two

I woke up to the softest thing I had ever touched. I liked it. I wasn't supposed to like it.

I peeled my eyes open. The second thing I noticed was that my mask and goggles were gone. That wasn't good either. That mask only let certain people touch it, anyone else would be shocked. I was one of them (obviously) and so were all of the higher up's at Hydra. How had it gotten off? Using my own hands to get it off was the most probable solution. My suit was also missing, so all my weapons must have been confiscated as well.

The third thing I noticed was the room was completely white. It was sterile and smelled so strongly it burnt my nose. I must have been in the medical wing. I had a nasty concussion, most likely, but it was strange that they would provide me with care. My wrist was wrapped and sore. My head and chest ached, beating in time to my heart.

The fourth thing I noticed was that I was tied down and the door looked bolted shut. The door, though strong looking and bulky, seemed like it was installed hastily. Some of the bolts looked half installed and the metal was scratched and crooked. They obviously hadn't been prepared for me.

The fifth thing I noticed was that I was alone. There was a camera in the corner of the room, watching me. I scowled at it.

I flexed my fingers, and it caused a small shoot of pain to go up my arm, but other than that, nothing was out of place.

I also didn't feel any headpiece or patch that blocked my powers, so I could use them freely. But it might be best to not let them know that right now. They had probably bet on the fact that if I couldn't use my hands, I couldn't use my powers.

The truth was, I could use my powers without employing my hands, it was just harder to focus the energy. I don't think even Hydra knew that; I had only used that ability on missions when they couldn't be watching me and only did slight things with it. I didn't like using them that way at all. It was harder and unnecessary.

That being said though, it was pretty necessary right now.

I focused all of my energy into breaking my right cuff quietly. I showed the camera a picture similar to the one I had been living: a picture where I went back to sleep. I hoped that when the cuff broke that there would be no shrapnel. It would be a little weird to explain why I was bleeding to a person watching a camera that hadn't caught the footage.

The cuff cracked quietly as I separated the metal through the microscopic pockets of air running through it. It quickly crumbled and broke apart, but I caught the pieces and set them quietly in the trash can where no one who wasn't looking could see them. I started in the left cuff, all the while making sure that my guise on the camera was still showing what I wanted them to see.

I tried not to lose my focus on the tasks and just let my mind drift into a state of... fogginess would be the best word to describe it, but it was hard and I had to fight to keep myself conscious to perform the skillful tasks that divided my mind. I didn't need one task to become sloppy.

The second cuff broke apart and I started on the shackles circling my ankles. These ones weren't as hard as the ones on my hands, and it took almost half the time to get my legs free.

As far as the person watching the camera knew, I had just woken up again. He didn't see all that had taken place in the past minute, which was very good for me. I still laid in the bed, now just having to hide the fact that I didn't have cuffs from the camera.

I was "awake" for nearly half an hour when the door opened again. It was a struggle to keep my mind from drifting, especially now that I had to hide my cuffs both from the man that just walked in and the camera. Fog drifted in the back of my vision.