Chapter Fourteen

When I woke up again, I was really in the softest thing I had ever felt.

It was warm and heavy, comforting me in ways I couldn't explain. I felt safe and protected by the warm mass laying above me, whatever it was. I didn't even open my eyes straight away like I always did when I woke up. I just layed there, appreciating the warmth.

But what if someone caught me? What if they knew I was awake, even if my eyes were closed? My breathing must have changed as soon as I woke up. I immediately started to scramble up. I was already going to be punished so badly, I didn't need to be punished more.

I was supposed to be getting out. If all went to plan, I should already be out. I should be back at Hydra. But this obviously wasn't Hydra. It was too warm and comfortable.

I thought back to my actions. Slitting my wrists was a stupid idea. I felt the bandages wrapping my forearms. I was tempted to take them off, but I didn't want to see what lay under them. I wasn't quite ready to face the fact that I did that to myself, messing up the whole mission.

In my efforts to sit up, I only got myself more tangled in all of the blankets and whatever was above me. It was heavy and hard to lift off myself.

"Cori, I think you should lay down," Suddenly, my attention was brought to the other person in the room, the one I never noticed before. The man was none other than Tony Stark.

"Why did you call me that? Why are you here? Were you watching me sleep?" I asked, not letting him speak before putting out another question.

"You told me your name the last time we talked. You were a bit high," Mr. Stark said, putting his hands up in surrender.

I groaned. Of course high-me had told him everything, including my name.

"I'm going to get in huge trouble for that,"

"No you aren't," Mr. Stark said firmly, "because I won't let the people at Hydra do anything you anymore,"

I stared at him. How was he going to accomplish that feat? If I didn't go to them, Hydra would come to me. There was no way he could protect me from that.

The pause extended for a few moments, until Mr. Stark broke the silence by answering my other questions.

"I was here to make sure you didn't hurt yourself when you woke up, and no, I was not watching you sleep. I was looking at my phone," I narrowed my eyes.

"How will I know you are not lying?"

"Is this going to become routine? You've asked me that same question almost every time we've spoken. I would not lie to you," Mr. Stark said, before lowering himself back into his chair.

I nodded, and pushed off the warm blankets. Immediately a cold rush of air hit me, causing me to shiver. I threw my legs over the side of the large bed and tried to stand up.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you," Mr. Stark said before I could stand though.

"Why not?" The man shrugged.

"Even with your enhanced metabolism and quicker healing, you still lost a lot of blood and had to get a transfusion. I was told to not let you stand up for at least an hour after you woke up. It's also the reason why you are probably cold. So, if I were you, I would get back under the covers and stay put for at least an hour,"

I glared at Mr. Stark.

"What if someone catches me," I said, muting the microphones from my question.

"The cameras in this room are only accessible by certain people I trust. Myself, my fiance and CEO Pepper Potts, my good friend and Head of Security Happy Hogan, and Rhodey. Friday is the one who runs the system, so you don't have to worry about being watched by Hydra,"