(uni!lock) Over a Cup of Coffee

It's a coffee shop AU y'all!!!!!!
Oh, and a university AU!!!!!!!

☕☕☕☕☕

Two hours. That's how much sleep you get in a day, now that you're up to your neck with university research projects and papers. And those are on the nights you aren't pulling all-nighters.

You were currently packing up all your things that were strewn around the lab, before leaving for the day. You had stayed back a few extra hours to get more work done, but you realised soon enough that you were slowly dozing off.

You had loads of sleep to catch up on. But of course, you didn't have the time.

With a sigh, you pushed your laptop into your bag and stuffed in a few loose sheets on which you'd scribbled random notes and ideas. You swung the bag over one shoulder, finally walking out and squinting as the evening sunlight hit your eyes. It was so dark inside the lab, and you hadn't yet realised that the sun was still out on this cold autumn day.

Looking at your watch with sleepy eyes, you picked up your pace. You had time for a quick cup of coffee that'll help you stay awake for the rest of the night.

You looked around in confusion, adjusting to your surroundings and searching for the old coffee shop down the street.

☕☕☕☕☕

"Let me guess, one caffè mocha for the breakup?" The curly haired barista asked the middle-aged lady in front of him.

"Uhh- how did you know?" She stood there, perplexed at how the barista had managed to guess both, her recent breakup, and her coffee order. Well, nearly.

"It was obvious," he shrugged nonchalantly.

"One iced caffè mocha, thank you."

"Iced costs more, but whatever. I'm sorry for what happened. He didn't deserve you anyway," he smiled sweetly at the lady.

"-or the three other women he's sleeping with," he muttered under his breath.

"I'm sorry, what? Three?"

"Um, that'll be three pounds."

She nodded and paid him.

That's when you walked in to the café, pushing tiredly against the door as it made a sweeping noise.

He looked up and caught your eyes, a warm feeling filling his heart almost immediately. He felt giddy.

Handing the lady her bill and muttering a quick "thank you", he turned towards you.

"Blimey, you need sleep."

You laughed under your breath. "Well, good evening to you too."

He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"Uh, good evening. I'm Sherlock, may I take your order?"

You glanced at the large board behind Sherlock that detailed out the drinks and their prices, before quickly observing the baked goods behind the glass counter you were leaning against.

"Argh, I don't know. What do you suggest?"

"...might I suggest some sleep?"

"I wish," you smiled. "Seriously though, just give me something that's strong."

"-and affordable, I'm guessing."

"-and affordable." You quickly added.

"One espresso coming up."