ETERNAL

– A DREAM OF HER –

"I remember you with my soul clenched
In that sadness of mine that you know"
                                              – Pablo Neruda

Emily was about to rest and lay in her bed when James knocked on her bedroom's door. She quickly tied her robe on and opened the door for the assistant. "James?"

"Senyora." James handed Emily a letter.

For a second, she only stared at the envelope noticing that it was addressed from France. "You also have a vase of tulips downstairs, would you like me to bring them to your room?" Emily accepted the letter and shook her head. "I'll go down James, thank you."

"It's in the common area Senyora." With a nod, the assistant left.

And down she went.

Alone in the common area, Emily stepped closer to the vase of white tulips. It was almost glowing as the lighting slanted against its thin lustrous petals. It almost made her smile. With a sigh, she then opened the envelope.

"Go ahead Lia, a little fun couldn't hurt."

- X

Emily could only swallow hard before finally folding the letter.

***

Instead of being in a fancy restaurant Daniel Cruz found himself in a rather cheap casual dining place called 'Fortuna'. It was not too bad but his expectations were a lot higher. He did not know why but the restaurant seemed empty as well. For a second, he was a bit suspicious. He was after all, unfamiliar with the place, he could have gone to the wrong restaurant but when he asked the waiter inside, it had been confirmed he was heading to the right direction. "Si, si signore"

When he entered, Emily was already there, sitting in the middle table next to the windows. She was looking outside. A bucket of ice with a bottle of wine was right next to the empty glasses in front of her. But despite the causality of the place Daniel could not help but to recognise her notorious, quite haunting and beguiling beauty. She was far more beautiful than the photos he saw online. And she seemed a lot simpler. She hardly had any make up on. Her dress was simple yet elegant and fitting with their environment. At the same time, the fact that the restaurant was empty made it even more intimidating. She seemed one of those people who would hardly say a word not unless it was relevant. Her serenity made it even worse because she seemed unpredictable. Cunning. Deceptive.

Daniel walked forward nervously. "Senyora."

Emily definitely heard him but she kept her eyes outside. Daniel gulped, anxious whether he had offended her or not. It took her a couple of seconds before she slowly turned her head towards him. She only blinked, then she nodded. She did not even stand.

"Feel free to take a seat."

"I'm Daniel Cruz, nice to finally meet you Senyora Emilia."

Instead of acknowledging his introduction, she asked, "Have you eaten Daniel?"

Daniel was taken aback. "Oh, ah, eh I'm good Senyora."

Emily only stared at him impassively with incalculable amount of scrutiny. She was not smiling at all and her gazes were intimidating enough for him to think of food. But again, to his surprised, she said, "A good meal bears a good introduction Daniel." He did not know what to say. "Gusto mo ba ng kanin?"

He flinched, shocked for her to know what he actually been craving to eat since he arrived in Italy. But what surprised him more was her ability to fluently speak in Tagalog. Daniel knew Emily was born in the Philippines but aside from that background information he knew nothing of her except for the rumours and people's remarks of her great success in business. Her ability to be on top of the patriarchal society. And her relationship with an Italian rich old man named Marcelo Guidotti.