runaway

ok i know this first half of the chapter is incredibly unrealistic (i mean this whole book is) but just go with it

Mike woke up to his head throbbing. He opened his eyes and sat up quickly to see that he was now in a different room. This room was completely bare, cement floors and cinderblock walls with a small window near the top of the wall which only had 3 metal bars going through it. The open window brought a cool draft into the room which made Mike shiver.

He got up and looked around the room more clearly. There was nothing in there but a single bed, it was almost like they threw him in a closet and just locked the door. But then again, that's probably what happened.

He brought his hand up to his head and immediately flinched when touching his forehead. Bringing his hand down, fresh blood was displayed on his fingertips. Mike had no clue what happened to him or where exactly in the building he was.

What Mike does know is that he was so close to getting out of this place all up until he figured it would be a good idea to start fighting with Owens. He should've known that the fat old man has more power over him than he should. Owens can get the guards whenever he feels like it and he can tell them to do anything to Mike.

On the opposite wall of the small window, Mike saw the door and immediately walked over to it. Unlike his previous room, there was no window of any sort on this door. So, without any way to communicate with anyone outside of the door, Mike began pounding his fist on the metal door.

After a few minutes, still, there was no response and his hand was beginning to hurt. He sighed in defeat and walked away from the door. Looking up at the window, it appeared to be night time. Mike was tall, like really tall. When he walked close enough to the bars, he could stand on the tip of his toes and reach the bottom of one bar.

He started shaking the bar around, trying to get it as loose as possible. Surprisingly, the bar was easy to move and easy came out of its socket. He pulled the rest of them out quickly and set them on the floor gently, careful not to make any noise.

The window definitely wasn't big enough for him to fit out of. It was more wide than it was high, but it was worth a shot to try and get out. The only question was, how could he climb up there? There was nothing in the room but the poles he had pulled from the window and the small bed in the opposite corner.

He quickly went over to the bed and pulled it over towards the window, knowing he could very well stand (or jump) on the mattress and get him out of here. So, when the bed was situated right below the window he got up and stood on the lumpy mattress that was supposed to be a bed.

Now, Mike doesn't have a lot of upper body strength. In fact, he barely has any. To make matters worse, he is completely exhausted and his lack of proper nutrition is not mixing well with any of these factors. So, Mike is currently struggling to pull himself through the cramped window.

He tries to reach for something outside of the window that he can grab onto, but is met with nothing but thin air. Looks like he'll just have to use his nonexistent muscles and the bed beneath his feet.

Slowly and shakily, he pulls himself up and ducks his head through the window. Now, his head is all the way out of the window, but he sees nothing but tall walls and dead trees sprinkled around the outside of the lab. He isn't far up from the ground either, maybe 6 feet. It wouldn't be a harsh fall if he were to jump.

Surprisingly, there didn't appear to be any guards walking around. That didn't stop Mike from not wondering whether or not they were actually out there. He looked for an exit. It didn't look like he could climb up those walls and from what he could see, there wasn't a gate that led to the outside world. At least not one he could see.