Chapter XXXV

Percy POV

Voldemort touched Wormtail's tattoo on his forearm.

The air was suddenly full of the swishing of cloaks. Between graves, behind the yew tree, in every shadowy space, wizards were Apparating. All of them were hooded and masked. And one by one they moved forwards ... slowly, cautiously, as though they could hardly believe their eyes. Voldemort stood in silence, waiting for them.

'Harry Potter and Perseus Jackson had kindly joined us for my rebirthing party. One might go so far as to call them my guests of honour.' Voldemort said.

There was a silence. Then a Death Eater that resembled to Draco Malfoy said:

'Master, we crave to know ... we beg you to tell us ... how you have achieved this ... this miracle ... how you managed to return to us...'

'Ah, what a story it is, Lucius,' said Voldemort. 'And it begins – and ends – with my friend here.'

'I had not been killed, though the curse should have done it. Nevertheless, I was as powerless as the weakest creature alive, and without the means to help myself... for I had no body, and every spell which might have helped me required the use of a wand ...'Then ... four years ago ... the means for my return seemed assured. Quirrell seemed the very chance I had been dreaming of, so I took possession of his body, to supervise him closely as he carried out my orders. But my plan failed. 'And then, not even a year ago, when I had almost abandoned hope, a servant returned to me: Wormtail here,decided to return to his master. And after that I met him,' he said pointing to the titan 'Coeus, the greek Titan of intelligence. He has a goal too: kill Perseus Jackson and take over the Olympus. Coeus told me that the Triwizard Tournament would be played at Hogwarts this year, and that he knew of a faithful Death Eater who would be only too willing to help me, if I could only contact him. Coeus told me I would settle for my old body back again, and my old strength by making the potion that revived me tonight. But one of the ingredients was Harry Potter's blood. But how to get it? Use my one faithful Death Eater, stationed at Hogwarts, to ensure that the boy's name was entered into the Goblet of Fire and the boy won the Tournament – that he touched the Triwizard Cup first – the Cup which my Death Eater had turned into a Portkey, which would bring him here, beyond the reach of Dumbledore's help and protection, and into my waiting arms. And here he is ... the boy you all believed had been my downfall ...'

Voldemort moved slowly forward, and turned to face Harry. He raised his wand.

'Crucio!' Voldemort yelled.

Harry raised in the air, screaming.

'You see, I think, how foolish it was to suppose that this boy could ever have been stronger than me,' said Voldemort. 'But I want there to be no mistake in anybody's mind. Harry Potter escaped me by a lucky chance. And I am now going to prove my power by killing him, here and now, in front of you all, when there is no Dumbledore to help him, and no mother to die for him. I will give him his chance. He will be allowed to fight, and you will be left in no doubt which of us is the stronger. Now untie him, Wormtail, and give him back his wand.'

Until that moment, I have been with my wand out. I decided to let Harry fight, but if Voldemort would to kill him, I will need to intervene.