Twelve: A Final Call Between Men

{Axton}

I hear my private echo line go off, and I find it was Handsome Jack. I picked it up, going some where private. 

" Hello, Jack. I wasn't expecting a call from you of all people." 

" I want to let you know that Leon is home safe and sound." 

" Why bother? He obviously loves you and his life in Opportunity."

" He's crying. Leon is not a crier. He refuses to let anyone touch him, let alone the ring you gave him. He's actually put it on his trophy necklace." 

" Trophy necklace?" 

" A little hobby of his. He takes a tooth from every bandit he shoots and turns them into beads. I actually have a few of them as gifts over the few years he's done this." 

" He uses teeth as beads-never mind. I want to know why."

" Because, call it fair trade, cupcake. You got the girl, I get the child. You had your happily ever after, now I get to have mine, pumpkin." 

" You don't deserve him, you know that?" 

" Oh I know I don't. I saw that little heart to heart. I have to say, it must sting to have him loyal to the wrong father, huh?" 

" You really are a dick." 

" Yes, but I'm leaving Sanctuary alone. I'm not gonna bother with it. You bandit scum can have it. Consider this a nicety." 

" I want my son back." 

" I want my wife back. I guess we don't get what we want." 

" Why are you still so fucking angry about that? That was well over 20 years ago." 

" Because, she told me I had nothing to worry about. Then she meets you. Another person I trusted betrayed me." 

I stop and think back to what Leon had said, and let a sigh leave me lips. 

" Leon hadn't been lying, had he?" 

" No. I didn't raise a lier. He's a good boy with a big heart. He believes you, by the way, he just won't admit it. He knows the truth when he hears it. 'The truth is relative.' That's his way of making it hurt less. I fully expect him to head back to you in a few days. He's going to want to learn more about the truth of his mom. You apparently knew her better than I did." 

" Yeah, because I took the time to ask the right questions and instead of lashing out with every heart to heart, I was nice, and helped her heal old wounds, wounds I might add, that you made. No one gets close to the great Handsome Jack, not without getting the thorns and burrs. You hurt her when you'd do that shit. I let her in, let her see the dark shit, and let her stay. I didn't force her out like you did, damn it. I loved her, you loved the idea of her." 

Make that two times I've said something I really wish I hadn't in a 24 hour window. Shit. Jack get's quiet, before I hear a soft, gentle chuckle from Jack, and it sounded so human, it alarmed me. 

" Now I see what she saw. You were a wild stallion, someone quick to the trigger with little forethought. You had that spark to wake up her craving for danger. I tried to lock up a beautiful dove, treating her as such, you saw her for the beautiful phoenix she was. I was stupid and blind, and you gave her the keys to the cage, and before I could stop her, she was flying, free." 

" I'm sorry. I know better to go for a spoken for woman, but when they look so trapped, I have to help. It's just what I do." 

" No, I'm sorry. I never should have treated her like that-Oh. Leon. How long have you-Leon! Get back here! Shit!" 

I heard a massive door slam shut, and the sound of a man who was caught with his dick out. Leon had heard everything. I then hear the clicking of something small, but it was multiple clicks, like a group of small bits of plastic. I can almost hear the smile in his voice as he talks.

" Be ready. I know he's running off to see you. He overheard everything. He knows." 

" I'll talk to him. Calm him down. I'll help him see reason. It's what I'm good at." 

" Axton, I never said this next sentence. Understood?" 

" What sentence?" 

He chuckled, and said something that made my heart stop and my blood run cold. 

" Leon is to stay with you. Do whatever you have to, but do not let him come back to Opportunity, do not let him see this area of the horizon. Tell him, tell him I loved him, and that I'm sorry." 

I knew that tone, those words. He was going to destroy it all. He was going to blow it all sky high. He was going to kill himself. He gave up. I won, in the most victory ripping way. He robbed me of it. That is so Handsome Jack, it was terrifying. 

" Jack, it was good fighting you. Rest easy." 

" You too, Axton." 

I saw the technical pull in, and the echo went dead. I raced to him, and Leon looked so heartbroken, so scared and hurt, it broke me a small bit. 

" Come here, Leon." 

He didn't even hesitate, and he sobbed into my chest, clinging to me for dear life. I hear a muffled blast, and force Leon to keep his face to me. 

" It's best you just cry it out, Xiper. It's best you just keep looking this way. Trust me. It's better this way. Just know that Jack did love you, and that he's sorry." 

His skin went cold, and a new wave of tears hit him hard. I just held him, my son, and let him mourn for Jack, the only person here who would. The only soul on Pandora that would mourn for the Hyperion Overlord. The only one to know the goodness of Jack.