Thirteen: The Aftermath

{Xiper}

It's been fifteen years since Handsome Jack blew himself up, along with all of Opportunity, and since then, Hyperion has left the planet, the Vault key having been scavenged by me and my father, Axton. He understood why I called him that, and felt honored to even be called Father. No one knows why he chose suicide, but it was very like Handsome Jack to go out in a huge bang. If he was going to hell, he was going out in style. I made my home in Sanctuary, and actually found myself falling for Angel, of all people. She was Jack's real child, and boy, was the siren a beauty. After ten years of being with Father, living his life, it felt right, less restrictive. I changed Mom's ring, and wore it on my wrist like she did, going into gun fights with Father and the other Raiders. Father ended up dying due to his age catching up to him, and being too slow to dodge a bullet. He gave me Sweetheart, and told me to treat her right, and she'll do anything I asked for. All that was left of the old Raiders was Gaige, Maya, Tina, Angel, and Ellie. 

The six of us got really close, and Ellie, along with Tina and Gaige would tell me crazy stories about my Mom and Father. Now with Hyperion gone, all that was left was raiding to survive. I went to the crater that was Opportunity Pit, as the locals called it, and found some old relics among the wreckage. I kept searching, trying to find anything of Dad's, when I find his mask. It was cracked across one eye, the hinges were fucked up, and it had blood still on it. I picked it up, cleaned it off as best I could, the blood smearing as I wiped it off. It was all that was left. I grab some of the leather straps I carried for when I would do bead work on long bounty runs with Gaige, and tied it to where the hinges used to be, and secured the mask to my hip, so it rested opposite of my Father's Turret.

I left the wreckage, and made my way back to the technical that Tina drove here with me. She insisted on coming with me, telling me it wasn't safe to go alone. I know it was just to make sure I was ok. I came back, and she raised a brow at me. 

" Why in the hell you carrying his face around? You better than that." 

" This is all that's left of him. I couldn't really find much else." 

" Uh-huh. It's whatever shorty. That's your damage. Now, let's get back to my place. Gaige hates waiting on us for food, and boy, I was promised chocolate chip cookies!" 

I giggle, and get in the car, heading back to the new base. Everyone lived in Tina's workshop in the Tundra Express. I would visit Mom and Father, having them buried next to each other. It seemed fitting.

" You ain't gonna start wearing that, are ya Xion?" 

" I might, just to mess with people." 

I changed my name to Xion, as a mix between Xiper and Leon. My two worlds mixed into a perfect blend of what the absolute shit fuck.

" Well, if ya do, don't do it in the workshop. I don't wanna see it." 

" Fine fine, I get it. Ya hated my Dad. I'm sorry he was cruel to you and your parent's Tina. I wish I could fix it." 

" Eh, it was long before you, shorty. It's fine at this point." 

We get back just at sunset, and I let myself soak it in. It really was beautiful out here, once you knew how to deal with the varkids and the odd bandit. We get back just as Gaige calls dinner, and we all break out the Rakk Ale, talking about the newest bounties we did. I managed to slip away, and I looked to the sky, Elpis was glowing brightly, the stars were out full throttle tonight, and the station Helios sat right there, where you couldn't ignore it. 

" Mom, Dad, Father, I hope you three are playing nice wherever you are. I wish I could've met you Mom, I know Father talked highly of you. Dad, I found your mask. I hope you don't mind, but, I'm going to keep it, make a few alterations to it, and use it when I go on missions. I think if a few bandits see it and make it out alive, I can make sure the fear you made never fades. I'll carry the legacy you groomed for me. I'll still be your crusader, just not one clad in Hyperion yellow and white. I'll be a Bandit Slayer, a Handsome Crusader. I'll keep making you three proud." 

I look away from the moon, and for a brief moment, at a crossroad near the entrance of Tina's workshop, I saw them. Dad was on his own, his face unmangled by the scar Lilith gave him, Father was young again, like his old photos proved, and a woman was on his arm, her smile was wide and cocky, like my own. This was Mom. Mom and Father waved, while Jack merely saluted me as he always did before a mission, before they turned around and vanished. I did a double take, only to not see anything there anymore. 

" Hey, you alright Xion? We didn't even notice you were missing." 

It was Angel, the resident nurse and love of my life. She placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. I gave her a soft smile, looking back at the crossroads where I saw them, and let a stray tear fall. 

" Yeah, just talking to them again. Told Dad about his mask. He seems pleased."

" Yeah well, Jack loved that mask. Best put it to good use." 

" Hey Angel, I got a question for ya?" 

" And what's that, Xi?" 

" You think Dad would be happy with us?" 

" I think he'd be secretly proud, and what do you mean about us?" 

I blush, and turn away, walking back in, a pestering Angel now bugging to know what I meant, making me and the others laugh. I sit among those I've come to call family, and let loose for the night, not giving a damn about tomorrow, let alone the future.