PROLOGUE

✰✰✰

✰✰✰

The Montgomery Mansion is the pinnacle of Figure Eight. Built sometime between the American Revolution and the Civil War, it is one of the few remaining antebellum homes in the Outer Banks. The massive white pillars and evenly spaced windows lined by a balcony are a paragon of beauty. Through the daunting doors of the center entrance lies an extravagant chandelier and sweeping, marble staircase leading to dozens of rooms. The beauty of the surrounding garden and Grecian-style symmetry is picturesque: a Kook's dream. The Montgomery Mansion encapsulates the affluence of the elite community of the Outer Banks.

Inside the magnificent mansion lives an even more magnificent family. The Montgomery family; deep-rooted in the South and dripping in old money.

The Montgomery family has passed down the beautiful property through generations. Today, it is home to Clyde and Margaret Montgomery.

Clyde and Margaret are the epic Nicholas Sparks novel realized. They attended Princeton University together in the same graduating class. Despite their strong soulmate bond, the pair didn't find each other until the end of their 4 years when they were named co-valedictorians. Clyde, a smart, southern gentleman, and Margaret, a strong-willed, southern lady. Both battling for the top spot, but also each other's perfect match as decided by—well, no one really knows who or what determines soulmate bonds.

Along with their Princeton degrees, Clyde and Margaret's pride and joy are their daughters.

Ellie-Mae Montgomery is the oldest of the bunch at 25. After spending four years at UVA and passing her MCAT with flying colors, she was admitted into Johns Hopkins medical school where she studies currently. She lives in her own estate in the surrounding DC area with her soulmate, Andrew, whom she met her sophomore year of college. Andrew is the son of the CEO of a major tech development company, which he will be inheriting soon. A doctor and a future CEO--Clyde and Margaret couldn't be happier. Despite living away from home, Ellie-Mae makes sure to visit her loving family in the Outer Banks every now and then.

Next is Dixie Montgomery at 21. The second-oldest is about to start her senior year at Duke playing for the field hockey team. After being named to the U.S. national field hockey team several years in a row, she is training with Team USA as an Olympic hopeful. In addition to being a top-rated athlete, Dixie is also a political science major who has interned on Capitol Hill for the past 3 summers where she met her soulmate, Brad. Clyde and Margaret Montgomery love Brad: a former quarterback for Alabama, where he graduated with high honors in hopes of going into politics alongside Dixie. The (debatably) perfect conservative, southern couple, some would say.

The youngest of the bunch is Georgia Montgomery, an energetic 14-year-old. Despite her young age, she too has an impressive résumé. Valedictorian and class president for her 8th grade class, a state title-holder in tennis, and a Stanford hopeful. Although she is yet to meet her own soulmate, Clyde and Margaret are sure she will have a smart, handsome young man join the family. Georgia is the Montgomery baby, and could never do wrong.