chapter 14 : The Unwelcomed and the Unexpected

//Philippines' POV

.
.
.

"MAHARLIKA!"

We all ran to her and hugged her, trying our best to keep it down as to not attract too much attention.

We buried our faces around her on her blouse, trying to hide our tears. I Maharlika softly giggle.

I slowly raised my head up, sniffling and still trying to cover my likely red and puffy eyes from her and anyone else in the Dining Hall. "Hoy... anong nakakatawa sa'yo?"
("Hey... what's so funny to you?")

"Wala lang. I'm just enjoying this sight while I can."
(It's nothing. I'm just enjoying the sight while I still can.")

Kuya Greg sniffled and spoke up. "Anong ipihig mo sabihin?" He asked; his eyes all watery, red, and puffy.
("What are you trying to say?")

Maharlika giggled. "I'm saying that for someone who claims to not have a soft heart, you seem like big softie right now."

.
.
.
.
.

"I'll give you P5oo ($10) if you promise to never speak of this again."

We all laughed. But it seemed Maharlika had other surprises for kuya Greg and I.

"So... when do you want me to get your things from the car, anak?" Tatay asked her.

"Things? For what? Where are you putting them?" Kuya Greg asked.

Maharlika giggled again. "Didn't you hear, kuya Greg? I'm moving to this school. I'm moving in!"

Kuya Greg and I looked at her; our eyes wide in surprise for a few second, before giving her our widest smiles. But she wasn't done yet.

"And the best part is, Principal Earth agreed to give me a while separate room on the Asian floor, Southeast Asia Hall. And kuya Greg, you're moving in with me!" She said happily.

Kuya Greg took a step back. "Th-That's great! Sa wakas, 'di na 'ko makasama ng mga walang kwentang- walang magawa kundi lagi away ng away. Nakakabaliw, eh."
("Th-That's great! Finally, I won't be rooming with those useless- they don't do anything but argue. It's driving me crazy."

Maharlika giggled and smiled, happy at kuya Greg's excitement at the idea of rooming with her. Then she turned to me.

"Ikaw, kuya Phil? Gusto mo ba kasama kami sa isang dorm?"
("What about you, kuya Phil? Do you want us three to live together in one dorm?")

I was about to accept her offer, but then I caught a glance at Malaysia and Indonesia with their families. Then I remembered how this past summer, we'd always text each other, hoping that we'd all live in the same dorm. Talking about how'd we'd run things, who'd be responsible for what, how often we'd party, and many others.

In other words, I've made up my mind. As much as I'd love to share a room with my siblings just like old times, I also don't want to throw away what I have now.

Because unlike my brother, I actually like my roommates.

I looked back at Maharlika and kuya Greg, who was trying to convince me with his best puppy dog eyes, but is failing miserably.