Part 4: The White Whisperer

ON THE WAY BACK UP TO THE CASTLE . . .

Callum: So who IS the White Whisperer?

Rayla: *panting* He-he's a sorcerer. A moonshadow Sorcerer actually.

Callum: Well that's good. Then he will help you, right?

Rayla: I don't know.

Callum: Soooooo... you said there were conditions. What are they?

Rayla: Well, before he does anything to help you he sort of torchers you to see if you can stand it and if you're worthy.

Callum: How? *pale*

Rayla: He makes you tell two truths and a lie. The truth's have to be two of your darkest secrets. And the lie-

Callum: Hey! Me and Ez used to play that game. Each of us would write down two truths and a lie, right? And then you-

Rayla: Callum! Stop! This is not a game. The lie has to be a dark secret too. But it's worse because it has to affect your real life. As soon as you say it to him it radiates throughout the entire world telling everyone you know you're lie. I don't even exactly know how it works but I know it hurts people Callum. I can't go through with it.

Callum: We're going to help you. This has to work. So all we gotta do is think of two of your darkest secrets, and then think of a really painful lie.

Rayla: Easier said than done.

Callum: 1. .......... Uh, I don't know, what's one?

Rayla: I have been associated with humans.

Callum: That's not exactly a secret.

Rayla: With elfs it is. Or it's just a symbol of shame. Same dif.

Callum: Kay, two?

Rayla: I, used my swords to shed Xadian blood.

Callum: Are you saying you only are supposed to use them on-

Rayla: Humans? Yeah. But eventually every elf might have too.

Callum: Okay then. Now, a lie. Hmmmm... Let's think. Kay, Rayla? What's something that is the complete opposite of you.

Rayla: I hate you, Callum.

Callum: There's always- what? I, Rayla??

Rayla: Callum, no I didn't mean that. *hurriedly* I, you told me to say a big lie and, well, that was it. I KNEW I couldn't go through with this. *stops walking (hobbling) up stairs, sits down and curls up)

Callum: Rayla. No, I just spoke too fast. You just scared me for a second, that's all.

Rayla: Callum, you'll be standing there when I say all this. I have to believe it too! I can't do it. That's not even all of it.

Callum: *pale (I think by this time he seriously need to be out in the sun more)* What else is there?

Rayla: He sends the most painful memories through your head. ALL the things that ever made you hurt before. Then he helps you . . . or whatever consciences or cares you have left. By that time, you don't care and you just want to go home and die.

Callum: Why does he do that?

Rayla: To see if what you need is really worth it. If you stay, he'll do anything for you. But it's devastating and almost fateful sometimes.

Callum: Will he kill you?

Rayla: Of course not. But it makes you want to kill yourself, Callum.

Callum: But, Rayla . . you would never do that.

Rayla: *crying* I don't know Callum. I don't know if I can promise that. 

Callum: Rayla, we're not going to do this if it means I have to watch you kill yourself.

Rayla: I want at least a CHANCE of living. You're right Callum, we need to try.

Callum: *hurriedly* No, I wasn't. I didn't know all this before. We need to find another way. It'll work. *Sits down next to her and says voice breaking* It has too.

Rayla: Stop CRYING! You're breaking my heart!

Callum: And you're breaking mine!

(Silence)

Rayla: Do you want to hear a story?

Callum: Do I?

Rayla: My best friend when I was younger went to see the White Whisperer. Her dad was dying and her mom had already died. She was desperate. We were both 12 and I helped her sneak away. Shazari and I went up the Fabian Mountain's to see him. We had prepared the three things beforehand. He took her into a cave and I sat in the cold. I had only brought my cloak. Then I heard screaming. I ran into the cave. He was sitting in a chair and Shazari was on the ground screaming. It broke me. I tried to comfort her but she shoved me, and ran outside. She jumped off the face of the cliff, Callum. I had to go back to my village and I had to tell them I was part of Shazari's death. I never recovered fully. It hurts. *pulls hood over head and tries to pull it down as far as it can go*

Callum: Rayla-

Rayla: *Turns away from him*

Callum: Rayla, I don't care what you look like.

Rayla: *voice quavers* I don't want you to see me like this.

Callum: But I already have.

Rayla: I don't know if I can do this. Both deaths are painful.

Callum: If you do jump off a Cliff, *smiles slightly* guess what'll happen?

Rayla: You'll be an idiot and then jump off after me.

Callum: I did it once, and I can do it again.

Rayla: *Leans on Callum's shoulder* How could I possibly live without you?

Callum: *Strokes hair out of her face* You couldn't, and Neither could I.