II - Exploration

Alice

I was still sitting in my father's smith when Ivo approach me again. "How did it go?" I asked as he stopped and sat on the dirty floor next to me.

"Well, it is his father that is making everything bad. He want's Will to be in the army or some shit like that while Will wants to be a farmer and, I quote, "I don't want to kill things. I want to make them grow and bring life. Not end it." By that stage he was full on ranting and stomping around." Ivo told me.

"Wow," I said in disbelief, " it seems pretty serious."

"Yea," he sighed, " I told him that I will help him go and confront his father about this. Tell him about how he is almost an adult and can make his own choices by himself."

"That was good of you. he clearly needs the support. Do you think I should come along? Give some extra support?"

"No. I think it would be too overwhelming if too many people are involved." he replied. "Sorry." he added lamely.

I slap his shoulder playfully, "Don't be. You're just trying to do best by your best friend. I completely understand."

"Cool. Thanks. I guess." he said with an uncertain laugh. I giggled slightly and slid off the low stool to sit beside him in the cold floor. I put my arm around his shoulders as he hugged his knees

"How is stuff with you going? Knowing that there is major problem with your best friend and knowing what it is can be hard in someone. Is everything OK?" I said gently.

"Yea." he said half-hearted, "everything is fine."

"Really?" I pressed.

He tried to smile but failed dismally. "I am fine. And as you said, I don't want to burden you with by woes while you have your own and Will's to worry about." He gave me that annoying look where he knows he is being a smart ass and he knows I want to know something but he has just used what I have said against me and won. I glared at him in return.
"Ivo-" I started before he interrupted.

"We should probably get going. We have life skills soon and Drantag knows what would happen to you if you were late." he said. I sighed deeply at his ruse to change the subject and the fact that it worked.

"Fine." I said. "But you will tell me what is wrong. Before the end of the weekend."

He laughs loudly, "Good luck. You'll need it." And then rode off towards the gate where he would have life skills whilst I slowly walked Bella back towards the central building for my life skills. "I will get it out of him." I told Bella. She neighed and shook her head wildly. "Thanks for the vote of confidence." I said dryly.

Life skills was boring as hell. We continued to learn how to knit a jumper, working on attaching the sleeves. I was making one that was plain black. A boring, plain black jumper while the other girls were making jumpers that were pink, blue, red and green. The brighter, happier colours. My jumper stood out against the rest. Then again, I did too.

After an hour of sitting in a room and not paying attention to anything that anyone else had said, I went over to the kitchens - with the rest of the class much to my disappointment - and was supposed to be taught how to cook a certain meal. Once again, I wasn't paying any attention for the entire ninety minutes and just pretended to be looking at the instructor while thinking about Will and Ivo and how they were such good friends and how they essentially immediately made up and are now going to face the problem together and how nice Ivo looked today before the archery scene and how cute he was when he was worrying about something but refusing to tell me what was worrying him and - WHAT!!!!!
Was I actually just thinking about Ivo like that? I had never done that before. He was always just a brother to me. Like my twin. It was weird thinking about him in a romantic way. Almost unnatural. Shit, Ivo was right. I did have my own stuff to worry about. I hated it when did that. I wondered if he thought abut me the same way. I didn't think so. He probably still sees me as a sister.