2

"Oh my God Andi, I can't believe I'm going on tour. And so soon. I thought I'd get more time to prepare. I don't even have that many songs to choose from. But then again, I guess I'm not going to be on stage very long." Andi, Amber's very best friend and roommate, sits on the edge of Amber's bed, helping her fold and pack.

"You'll do just fine. You're always more prepared than you think you are. Have you gotten to talk to Jordan much? What's he like?" Andi is trying to hide how upset she is that her best friend since elementary school will soon be leaving her. They've never been apart.

"I'm definitely nervous. I've talked to him once or twice. He seems nice. He spends most his time with his wife and kids. So I haven't seen him much. But Joe on the other hand, he's very sweet. I think I might kinda like him a little bit. He's been very attentive. I think he might like me too." She wags her eye brows at Andi.

"Isn't he a little old for you?"

"No, he isn't. He's only thirty six. That's not too old for twenty. I'm an adult. If he doesn't have a problem with our age difference why should anyone else?" Amber can hear the defensiveness in her voice. It surprises her a little.

Andi puts her hands up, "Okay, okay you won't hear another word about it from me."

"Andi come with me. I need you with me. I can't do this all by myself. I'll pay you, you can be my assistant. Help me keep my schedule straight. Get me where I need to be on time. Please." Amber gets on her knees in from of her best friend and begs her.

"Oh my God girl I was starting to think you'd never ask me. I mean I was coming even if you didn't ask. I had it all planned out...sneaking onto your bus and hiding until we were too far from home to turn around. Thank God you asked though, cause I really don't think I could have pulled it off."

The two best friends embrace and jump up and down, squealing and hugging. "Oh Andi now this whole thing is really complete. Except for one small thing." Amber's face becomes serious.

Andi looks at her best friend, "What's that Amber?"

"Telling the parental units. I'm not sure how they're going to take the news that I'm leaving to go on tour and not going back to school." Andi looks at her and her mouth falls open. "You haven't told your parents yet? Oh my...they are going to shit."

"Well that's why, as my assistant, I task you with this duty."

"Oh hell no girl, best friend, or not, I will not be responsible for that disaster. You're on your own there." Andi crosses her arms over her chest and shakes her head.

"Oh come on Andi, you at least have to be there with me. If I go alone you know they'll do everything they can to make me feel guilty. I can't take that crap right now. I swear they'll never see me as a grown woman, I'll always be that tiny little baby that God gifted them with twenty years ago. You have to help me. Do I have to beg again?" Amber starts to go back onto her knees into the begging position but Andi stops her.

"Okay fine Amber. I'll come with you. And I'll do my best, but a tour with five men isn't going to be an easy sale. Your mom and dad are going to take some convincing. Not that it even matters, you are twenty. You can do whatever you want. I mean we moved to New York, they weren't exactly thrilled about that."

"I know but I don't want to piss them off. Or upset my mom. She's so sensitive about everything these days. Just help me build up the tour as a really good and positive thing for me. Tell them that all my hard work over the years is finally paying off."

Andi smiles and nods. She knows things will go better if they go together. "Will do bestie. We've got this. But not tonight, I've got to run some errands. Get ready for my new job! I'll see you later tonight."  They hug and Andi leaves.

A little later Amber is going over a new song idea when her phone chimes letting her know she had a text.

Joe: Hey Amber, how's your night going?  Getting excited yet?

Amber: Hi Joe! My nights good so far. How's yours? Excited? More like nervous. I still have to tell my parents.

Joe: You haven't told your parents yet?

Amber: No, I'm going to talk to them tomorrow with Andi. Hoping that will soften the news.

Joe: You don't think they'll be happy?

Amber: oh its a long story. Way to long to tell over text message.

Joe: I could come pick you up. Maybe grab a bite to eat and talk?!

Amber: Okay, be here in 15?

Joe: okay see you then.

Amber's feeling a little more excited than she would have expected at the thought of seeing Joe. But nonetheless she is feeling excited. Maybe there was more to this thing between them after all.

Amber quickly changes clothes. She throws on a casual summer maxi dress with a light cardigan and a pair of wedge sandals. She throws her hair up into a messy bun, applies a tiny bit of makeup with a sexy lip gloss. She's ready in fifteen minutes and he's knocking at her door. She thinks that's a good sign, that they're both punctual.

Joe looks her up and down when she opens her door. "Wow, you look amazing."

"Thank you Joe. You look pretty good yourself." They stand there and just stare at each other for a few seconds. "You ready to go?" Amber finally breaks the silence. Joe says yes and reaches for her hand.

"Where would you like to go?" He asks as he opens her car door.

"I've got the perfect place. You drive and I'll tell you where to go."