chapter 1

Unknown's POV

I was on the move. I was always on the move. I had to escape, I had to run. I had to get away from my past, and I had to stay away from it. They hadn't found me yet, but I doubt they were even looking. If they were the police certainly wouldn't be involved. I could ruin them and everything they had worked for. You may be wanting to know what happened, but that's for another time. But let's just say I haven't experienced much love or happiness so far in my life. I can't point out a moment where I have felt any of that, and I'm 14. I'm 14, alone and on the run.

Constantly moving, never knowing where they could be lurking. Right now I'm walking down a pretty crowded street. Those are always the easiest to stay hidden in plain sight. Also to get some food, maybe a few spare dollars. But, the crowds would soon be gone because night is about to fall. That means I have to find an alley or a small space to try and keep some of my body heat. Most nights I almost freeze to death though. My small body, which has become even smaller can't retain much heat.

I found my alley for the night. It was in between two small shops. Which is a good place to be. Granted, sleeping in an alley is never safe. But, when the options are this or beside a bar, I'd choose this place any day. As I watched people walk by, I realized how different some people have it. I recently had only discovered that my previous situation was not normal by any means.

Sometimes I have the thoughts of going back, even though it's dangerous, deadly perhaps. It's familiar. Something all humans crave. I'm glad I left, but everything is uncertain. At least before I knew what times something was going to happen to me and what times I was safe. Now, I never knew what time I would be safe and what time I would be in danger.

Whenever I settled down for the night it really gave me time to think. That can be good or bad. For me though it was normally bad. Whenever I would think the memories would come back, they would resurface. It was torture, I was reliving everything that happened to me. Most people would think I'm crazy but I swear I'm not. But maybe I am crazy. Maybe that's why that happened to me. Maybe it was all my fault, they always said it was. I told myself never to believe them but maybe they were right.

Luckily enough the night was warm. I had no idea what time it was but it had to be late. I took one last glance around and deemed it safe to fall asleep. Sleep never comes easy, every time I close my eyes they're there. They will always be there no matter what I do. And that is a scary thought. With that I finally settled down enough and drifted to the dark abyss otherwise known as sleep.