chapter 4

Ashton's POV

I woke up in the middle of the night. I looked at my phone to see the time, 4 AM. I sat for a few minutes trying to fall asleep, but my mind was racing. Thoughts spun around and around, seemingly to never cease. What happened in Sophia's past? Why did she react like that at first? I mean, I had a guess as to what happened but I didn't know to what extent. It was scary to think about what such a young
girl has gone through.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by an ear piercing scream. I immediately knew who it belonged to, Sophia. The scream was quickly replaced by sobs. I instantly got up to make sure she was alright. She was crying too hard to talk so I just held her. She tensed at first, but quickly relaxed. And, eventually, she calmed down enough to talk.

"You want to talk about it?" I gently asked.

"Yeah, I guess so" she whispered.

I nodded my head, encouraging her to speak.

"They came here and took me away, and they hurt me again." She said, her voice cracking throughout.

"I don't know what happened or who did these things to you, but they aren't going to take you away or hurt you again. I can promise you that." I gently, but forcefully assured her.

"Why don't you get some more sleep?" I said after a minute of silence.

"Stay with me?" her voice was low and vulnerable.

"Of course" I responded in an instant.

Before I knew it, my alarm was going off. I must have fallen asleep. I quickly got out of bed trying not to wake Sophia. I went down to my office to get some scrubs to change into. When I arrived I noticed that Luke was already here.

"Hey, are Calum and Michael here too?" I questioned.

"No, I just got here early to make sure Sophia was good." he said.

I just hummed in response. Luke came into my office and shut the door so I could change. We'd known each other far too long to care if we changed in front of one another. As I was changing I noticed Luke to be in deep thought. I wasn't going to push him to say it though, it would come out after he gathered his thoughts.

"What do you think happened to her?" he asked after a minute of silence.

"I have no clue, but we can't make her talk until she's comfortable and trusts us."

"Yeah that's true, I'm just worried though." as a response I just hummed in agreement.

"Do you think we could keep her?" he cautiously questioned.

"I mean who else would? I know we've known her for a day but I don't feel comfortable letting her go anywhere else. We just need to contact the police and a social worker so we can explain the situation." I said back.

"Yeah, but we need to alert her of stuff we do before we actually do it. We don't need to give her reasons not to trust us." Luke stated.

"Me and you can talk to her after she wakes up and Michael and Calum meet her. We can get them to contact the police. Since she knows us best, it's best for us to be the ones to tell her." I suggested.

"Yeah that's a good idea."

AN: new chapter! sorry it's rather short, I just don't want to get into anything new or important and it end up being too long :)