09 | the waterbending scroll

CHAPTER NINE!
THE WATERBENDING SCROLL

SINCE THE WINTER SOLSTICE, Aang had been nothing but a worried wreck. It took tons of convincing to get him to rest most nights or to even let someone else drive Appa. When he wasn't seated on the bison's head, he was anxiously pacing and mumbling stands of nonsense to himself. 

      "Would you sit down? If we hit a bump you'll go flying off!" Sokka said from the driver's seat that Aang was reluctant to give up. "What's bugging you anyway?"

       "It's what Avatar Roku said." Aang said. "I'm supposed to master all four elements before the comet arrives."

        "Well, let's see, you've pretty much mastered airbending and that only took you 112 years! I'm sure you can master three more elements by next summer." Sokka said.

       Aang's palms flew up to his cheeks as the Avatar came to a frightening realization. "I haven't even started waterbending and we're weeks away from the North Pole! What am I gonna do!?"

      His head fell into his hands. His left arm, which hung loose, Katara grabbed his hand. She pulled him down into a kneeling position and grabbed both of his hands in her own. "Calm down. It's going to be okay." She said, "If you want, I can try and teach you some stuff [Y/N] and I taught each other."

      Aang lit up. "You'd do that?"

      Katara nodded with a smile. The two of them then crawled to the side of the saddle and looked over the edge.

     "We'll need to find a good source of water first." Katara said.

     "Maybe we can find a puddle for you to splash in." Sokka said offhandedly. Appa was guided to a mighty waterfall that molded into a great river. Aang and Katara watched in amazement to Sokka's dismay. "Nice puddle."

     Appa flew down into the river and created a huge splash that soaked Momo on a nearby rock. [Y/N] giggled.

      Aang, with a large grin on his face, slipped off his tunic and threw it off to the side. "Yeah! Don't start without me, boy!" He began to race toward the water, only freezing once he heard Katara's voice.

     "Remember the reason why we're here." She said.

      "Oh, right," he sheepishly turned to her. "Time to practice waterbending." He put his clothes back on.

      "Great," Sokka said sarcastically. "So what am I supposed to do?"

      "You could . . ." Aang trailed off in deep thought before lighting up and holding out a leaf-covered stick, "clean the gunk out of Appa's toes!"