Chapter 7

"what's wrong sweety?" with pain pinching her face, Maryse pushed herself up from the bed and slowly made her way towards her son.

"mom, don't get up..." Alec rushed to her side and helped her back in the bed before talking a seat in the chair next to it.

"Honey, tell me what's happened... I haven't seen you crying since you were seven... and that was because I wouldn't let you quit school and go to work with your dad every day."

Using her thumbs, Maryse brushed away the tears that ran down Alec's cheeks. He couldn't help smile at her motherly touch and the fact that she unintentionally had reminded him of his first time seeing Magnus.

"is that true? I haven't cried since then?"

"yes. You always stayed strong for your sister. I don't know if you have cried when you were alone, but never in front of me anymore. You have always been preoccupied with being strong for others. Your sister, your dad... Me..."

With a sad little smile, she kissed Alec's forehead.

"And you don't always have to be strong, honey. It's okay to let people know you are hurting... so tell me why you are hurting right know, because I know it's not because of me. My results don't come back before tomorrow."

"I don't have to be sad about your results, mom. I know you are in progress. I just know it."

Alec didn't really know anything about that, but the one thing he did know, was that his mother's recovery depended on keeping their hopes up and not give up. That was what the doctor had told them when she was first diagnosed.

"And my problems suddenly seem so small right now. I'm sorry mom, I didn't want to be burdening you without something unimportant."

"Don't be silly. You are, and will not ever be a burden to me. If its important to you, its important to me. So, tell me."

Sighing, Alec began explaining how he unintentionally had fallen in love with a man that was way out of his league.

"that can't be true, Alec. No man is out of your league. You are out of theirs. So he should feel blessed that you are giving him any attention at all."

"mom!" Alec couldn't help but giggle t his mothers words. Maryse took Alec's hand and squeezed it.

"you are the most beautiful, intelligent and kindest man in this world. And don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise. People like that aren't worth your time."

"it's a bit more complicated than that... he has never treated me like I was a lesser person, but... his dad doesn't like when he spends time with someone like me."

"well, then his father is an idiot. And you can't blame the son for his fathers behavior. I raised you better than that, Alec."

"I'm not... or maybe I am... I don't know, but there's more to the story... I'm in love with him and he just likes me for my... um... abilities."

"which abilities are you talking about... oh"

A light pink color covered Alec's cheeks when he saw his mother realize what he was talking about.

"um, you kind of caught me by surprise there, son. But maybe you should give him the benefit of the doubt. I mean, does he know your feelings for him?"

"no, of course not. He thinks I just wanted to sleep with him and... oh... I get it now... you think he might be pretending just like me."

"exactly. Because who wouldn't fall in love with you?"

"but there's more to the story... the guy I like... uhm... he's Mr. Bane's son... and I'm scared that he will fire dad if I get to close to his son. He will forbid Magnus to see me and then fire dad, so our family doesn't come near his again, and dad needs that job..."

"Alexander Gideon Lightwood! You stop that right now! I know, I haven't raised a boy that doesn't fight for what he wants. And I will not let you use your father, or me for that matter, as an excuse to hide from love. If the boy loves you back, then be damned the consequences! We are Lightwoods, son! And don't you forget that."

A coughing fit stopped Maryse from saying any more. Alec was by her side in a second, a hand on her back supporting her while she coughed. Once she stopped, he offered her a glass of water. Realizing how pale and exhausted she suddenly looked, the truth dawned on him.

She's not getting better... it's getting worse...

"Lie down, mom. Get some rest. We'll talk tomorrow. I love you."

His mother didn't have the strength to talk, so she just smiled at him, before closing her eyes and falling asleep. Alec stayed at her bedside for a little while before going home.

*****

Back at the house, both Camille and Magnus were waiting.

"thank god, you had me worried sick!" Camille rushed to his side and hugged him tight. "when Magnus told me you ran out, I thought the worst. Are you okay Alec?"

"yes, I'm fine." Hugging Camille back, Alec glanced towards Magnus. He looked so guilty and ashamed, that Alec felt bad for him. When Camille finally let go of him again, Alec approached Magnus. "can I talk to you? Alone..."

"Of course."

Alec walked to his room, followed by Magnus. Once inside, Alec closed the door.

"I'm sorry..."

"don't be." Alec interrupted Magnus. It was clear he blamed himself for Alec running out, but Alec knew that it wasn't Magnus fault. It was his own. It was because he had been a coward. "I'm the one that's sorry. I shouldn't have run out. It was childish and uncalled for. You did nothing wrong. I kissed you, remember."

"I know, but I started it... I thought you wanted it too, but I was wrong, and I forced myself on you. I'm so sorry, Alexander."

"please stop apologizing, Magnus. It's not your fault"

"you called me Magnus..." s smile tugged at Magnus lips as he moved closer to Alec. "you hardly ever call me by my name..."

"sorry..."

"don't. I want you to use my name a lot more, Alexander." Magnus stepped closer and brushed his fingers down alecs cheek.

"Magnus... I can't think when you do that..."

"oh sorry... I didn't mean to overstep your boundaries again. You just... affect me."

"Me too. I feel dizzy around you... "

"really? I like that..."

"Magnus...?" the name was barely a whisper on Alec's lips, as he looked down at the man standing so close to him. His heart was hammering in his chest and he felt intoxicated by Magnus' scent.

"yes..."

Alec fixated his eyes on Magnus lips while licking his own.

"please kiss me..."

There was no need to ask Magnus twice. Without hesitation, he covered Alec's plump lips with his own. Taking his time to truly enjoy the taste and feel of Alec.