Prologue

1986

"What did he say Benny?" A five year old Alex asked her 19 year old older brother.

He looked into the distance, "Charlotte, The secret lies with Charlotte," He said, showing her the piece of paper and she giggled.

"I want to be a Knight," she said, hanging upside down on the chair she had been sitting on.

"Ok, grandpa knighted me so I can knight you now, so kneel," he said and the little girl jumped up and kneeled on the floor below her big brother.

"Do you Alexandra Eliza Gates pledge yourself to the knights temple and the freemason, do you so swear," Ben said and Alex giggled before looking up at her brother.

"I so swear," she said and he picked her up in a hug.

"Gates family forever," he whispered in her ear and she smiled into his neck.

"Forever Benny," she said and they heard their dad call Ben down. She listened to them yell as she played with her planes and action figures in her room.

☆☆☆

1999

A 19 year old Alex bumped into someone and when she turned around she saw this taller brown haired boy with glasses, he must have been at least 20 because he looked older than her by a lot, she noticed he had dropped his food on the floor and sighed to herself.

"I'm so sorry, I can pay for that I'm so clumsy," she said nervously and looked up at him to see he was adjusting his glasses, his face with a flush pink tint spreading over it.

"It's fine, I can get another one, I'm Riley Poole," he said sticking his hand out, holding his books in one arm.

"Alex Gates, where are you heading?" She asked as they started walking along.

"Im going to Proffesor Brown's lecture hall, where are you going?" He replied looking over at her a few times.

"I'm going there too, but I need to pick up a coffee from the stand first, save me a seat Riley?" She said, the last bit a question.

She hoped that he didn't find her forward, it's just that doing a history major and engineering with her last name didn't get her many friends.

"Of course, grab me one too," he said and she nodded beginning to walk off.

"Just ask for Mr Pooles orders, they know me," he yelles out after her. He heard her laugh and stick her thumbs up as he watched her walk off.

☆☆☆
2000

They sat in the 50's theme diner that was across from their dorms knowing it was Rileys last day at school.

"I'll see you soon right," she said, a tear in her eyes and she reached her hand out across the table towards her best friend.

"Of course," he whispered, placing his hand on top of hers and running his fingers gently over her knuckles. Suddenly Walking On Sunshine started playing and Alex smiled.

"My favourite song," she whispered as she looked out the window then back at Rileys smiling face.

"I'm never going to leave you Sunshine," he whispered and she smiled at him.

☆☆☆
2002

"Your highness, we have to hurry up and go meet out newest recruit. A 23 year old tech student who just volunteered to be out guy in the chair." Ben explained and he stopped when he saw his sister leave her room.

She was 22 and looked stunning in the tight purple dress she was wearing to the business meeting Ian set up.

"You look great little Gates," he said and she faked a laugh following him out.

When they walked into the afternoon tea room she saw a familiar face.

"Poole? Riley Poole?" She questioned when she saw the back of the man's head.

He turned around and smiled at her, he seemed shocked as he looked her up and down in the business dress.

"Sunshine, didn't realise you'd be here," he said as she hugged him tightly.

"You know each other?" Ben questioned and they nodded.

"The cute guy" she mouthed to her brother before smiling at Riley.

"Ben, you remember me telling you about Riley, Riley you must already know my big bro," she said and he stuck his hand out and Ben shook it before winking at his little sister.

998 words