Chapter 10

AFTER A LONG SILENT RIDE ON THE  looking dumbwaiter they approached the room

AFTER A LONG SILENT RIDE ON THE looking dumbwaiter they approached the room. Everyone stepped into the room.

"Now what?" Alex asked as she looked around the room.

"What is this and where's the treasure?" Ian asked.

He looked around at the room at the group of people who were touching the walls and looking for an opening to some kind of treasure room.

"Well is this it?" Ian questioned, his voice angry as he stared at the group of adventurers who looked confused at the room.

"We came all this way for a dead end?" Riley asked as he looked over at Alex who sighed.

"Yes," Ben said, his voice sounding disappointed as he looked at his family.

They heard Ian laugh nervously and he smiled at them, walking back towards the dumbwaiter with the last member of his crew

"There's gotta be something more." Riley said as he looked around the room.

"Riley, there's nothing more." Alex said as she leaned against the back of the room.

"Another clue, or-" Riley kept trying to think about what to do, he was never good if you put him on the spot like that, that's why he always worked so well with Alex.

"No, there are no more clues!" Ben exclaimed, his voice sounding almost angry that they had failed to find it. He had finally snapped but Alex saw the small twinkle in his eyes.

"That's it, OK? It's over! End of the road." He yelled out in rage and Riley seemed almost shocked at the reaction, taking a few steps back like he was scared, even when people held guns to his head he was never scared of Ben.

"You're not playing games with me, are you, Ben?" Ian asked as the two men locked eyes, like they were ready to fight.

Alex walked in front of Ians path, blocking him from her brother.

"You two know where it is," He said, his teeth clenched as he looked down at the youngest Gates who stood with her head up high.

"We don't know where it is Ian," Alex said and he scoffed before turning around.

"Lets go," he said to his crew beforw they started walking back towatds the dumbwaiters.

"Hey, wait a minute." Alex said as she started following him, closely followed by everyone else. A chorus of stops, waits and Ians rang out in the room.

"We'll be trapped." Riley said, his voice laced with fear as he panicked at the idea of dying underneath Trinity Church.

"Don't do this." Ben exclaimed as he rushed after Alex.

"You can't just leave us here." Abigail said as she watched the dumbwaiter going up slowly, Ian with it.

Alex was filled with pent up anger towards the man she had hated for years but tolerated because she knew how much they needed his help, his money, his expertise.