Chapter 13 - Grievers

Allison spent the afternoon in the Med-hut, since it was her turn to watch Alby. She didn't have anything to do, so she was sat in silence on a chair beside Alby's bed, pondering over anything and everything. Normally, she would ask Newt to keep her company, but she didn't want to bother him since the recent chain of events had been agitating him. So, she suffered in silence, praying a Slicer would walk in with a cut or something of the sorts.

Instead, a faint tap on the door revealed to be Teresa. Her dark hair hung around her face as she gave Allison an awkward smile. Despite being the only two girls in the Glade, they hadn't really had a conversation, but Allison liked to blame the happenings in the Glade for keeping them busy.

"Can I join?"

Allison nodded and tapped the chair beside her. Teresa sat down and leaned back in the chair, a sigh escaping her lips. "How long have you been here for?"

"About a year."

"Why do you think we're here? In a place with only boys?" Teresa asked.

Allison shrugged her shoulders. "I've been trying to avoid that question for a long time. I'm so glad you came up, though. Sometimes the boys drive me insane."

Teresa giggled and sat upright. As she did so, a low groan echoed throughout the Med-hut, one that could not have belonged to either of the girls. Alby began to sit up, and shook Allison off when she tried to help him.

"You shouldn't be sitting up yet, Alby," she said.

Alby didn't respond, which worried Allison.

"Teresa, go get someone, anyone. Tell them Alby's awake."

Teresa nodded and left the Med-hut. Allison turned back to Alby and reached her arm out so she could use her wrist to check his temperature, but he moved away from her.

"Alby, I need to make sure you're alright," she said.

Once again, Alby didn't respond. His lip was quivering and his eyebrows were furrowed, the same way they did when he was exploding with rage after arguing with Nick, or when a Greenie was being difficult. Allison had a few vague ideas as to what Alby could have been angry about, but she didn't dare open her mouth. She was afraid that one of her theories could reign true.

Teresa walked back in, this time with Thomas, Minho, Gally and Newt following her. Allison looked up and stepped back, allowing the crowd to form around Alby, hoping that someone else could get him to communicate.

"Has he said anything?" Minho asked.

Allison shook her head. "No."

Newt sat down on the bed beside Alby, leaning down to get a clearer view of his face. "Alby? Alby, are you alright?"

With no surprise, Alby stayed quiet. He didn't even shift his gaze from the blank wall in front of him. Thomas stepped forward and knelt down in front of Alby, trying to get into his line of vision.

"Hey Alby. We might have just found a way out of the maze," he said softly. "You hear me? We could be getting out of here. "

Alby's face contorted into a look of pain, distress, or maybe hopelessness. Allison couldn't exactly tell, but she hadn't seen Alby look like this before. Vulnerable.

"We can't." His voice was barely above a whisper. Minho and Gally had to lean in to hear him. "We can't leave. They won't let us."

"What are you talking about?" Thomas asked.

"I remember."

Those words caused the rest of the Gladers to exchange brief glances. The cure could recover your memory?