Chapter 1- Birthday

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Vanya, happy birthday to you!"

They all gathered around her in the kitchen. All her siblings, her mother, Pogo, and Five. They were all there celebrating Vanya's 18th birthday, but they had to stay quiet, her father, if you can even call him that, forbids birthdays.

"Thanks, guys" Vanya whispered. She usually doesn't like this much attention on her, but she was excited to finally turn 18 because she was officially an adult.

They all had a slice of cake that was chocolate and peanut butter flavor, topped with marshmallows that Grace baked. Her favorite.

Vanya was the last Hargreeve sibling to turn 18. Typical though, she was the last Hargreeve sibling to do anything. The last to be thought of. The last to leave the table. The least important. 

Except to Five.

The two have been dating in secret ever since they were both 13. They both realised their feelings for each other during a training simulation. From there, they made a promise to each other when they both turned 18, they would leave and run away with each other.

Now that time has finally arrived.

When everyone finished cake, they hugged Vanya goodbye and wished her a happy birthday. Five walked her back to her room.

"You'll come tonight right?" She asked hopefully.

"Of course. Just like I come every night" He repsponeded. He looked around to make sure no one was looking and lightly kissed her forehead, before walking into his own room.

Vanya walked into her room and gently closed the door. She couldn't help the smile on her face. She got changed into her pjs, which in reality was just a T-shirt of Five's that he gave/she stole from him.

She went to sit on her bed and wait for the familiar pop sound of Five transporting to her room.

Sure enough, moments later, Five appeared out of no where, but this time, holding something in his hand.

"Hey" she said and scooted over on her bed to make room for him

"Hey" he responded and sat down next to her. "I got you something".

"What? I thought we agreed on no gifts? It would be easier to sneak out with less stuff, and how did you even-"

Five cut her off by kissing her, which she didn't mind.

"It's your birthday, one of the most important birthdays might I add. So I had to get you something. Plus this won't make sneaking out harder and I got it out while we were ona mission when no one was looking" He said.

Five looked her straight in the eye and gave her a small box wrapped with a ribbon. His heart flutterred when she saw her smile. He loved watching her smile.

Vanya unwrapped the ribbon and opened the box. Inside laid a silver necklace with a circular ring shaped charm.

"Oh Five, it's beautiful, it must have been so expensive. Thank you" Vanya gushed as she held it up and admired the piece of jewelry.

"There's a ring on the bottom to symbolize a promise. Vanya, we may not be ready yet, but I will marry you. If these 5 years have taught me anything is that I want to spend every minute of every day with you. That one day, I will be putting a real ring on your finger"

Vanya's eyes were watering with tears from happiesness. Five pulled her into a hug and held her close. He meant his promise.

As they broke away from the hug, Vanya looked up into Five's eyes.  "I love you" she whispered to him.

"I love you too"

Five put his hand on her cheek and slowly their faces got closer and their lips touched.

When they pulled apart Five turned her around put the necklace around her. She peered down at it admiring it's beauty.

Vanya stood up to turn off the light as Five laid down. She got into bed with him and he wrapped his arms around her.

"So what's our plan?" Vanya asked.

"I called the landlord and he has the apartment ready and already furnished for us." Five responded

"How did you do this without him asking any questions?"

"The guy doesn't care what we do, he just want's the money"

"Which I've saved up. With your reward money and my tutoring money, we have enough saved for rent and necessities for the next couple months, but we need jobs to help fully support us" Vanya spoke.

"Don't worry, we will, where we are going, no one will now we're from the infamous Umbrella Academy. no one will know who we are. It's a fresh start for the two of us"

"Oh Five, I'm so excited"

"Me too, now go to sleep we have a busy day tomorrow"

"Why?"

"We're leaving tomorrow night"