Chapter 38

A L M I R A

Chapter 38
Almira Davenport

The next morning, consciousness came to Calix and I through an open window with the sun's light beams streaming through. The warmth of the sun was something I cherished everyday.

Calix sat up and stretched, planting a soft kiss onto my lips. "Good morning."

"Good morning," I replied, rolling over to look at him. "After last night, you now know all the secrets I have."

Calix glanced at me before standing up, looking outside the window. "How do I remember all of that?"

"Abelia likes to make her grand entrances through dreams. She's been entering mine for a while now, and last night she brought you into them. I told her I couldn't keep secrets anymore, so she revealed all mine to you," I answered, sitting up.

A yawn escaped my lips as I came to be fully awake. I set the covers aside and got out of the bed, my small feet touching the cold floor. I opened the wardrobe in front of me and set a light blue, frilly dress onto the bed.

"So I know everything you do?" Calix pondered, thinking deeper into last night's late events.

"Yeah, you do. My part is to do any spells she asks of me, and to keep my lips sealed until she makes her grand reveal to everybody else," I elaborated, letting the night gown slide off of my body. I stepped into the frilly blue one and began tying the bow in the back.

"What exactly do we do?" Calix persisted.

I sighed and walked over to him, rubbing his shoulders. I planted a small kiss on the back of his shoulder before wrapping my arms around him. "We wait it out, see what happens, and act accordingly. But just know Lauren, Estelle, and the pure soul won't die in vain."

Calix turned around and looked down at me, his eyes scanning my face. "You're okay knowing the fact Lauren is going to die? She's pregnant."

I took a deep breath and shook my head. "No, I'm not. But I will at least have comfort knowing she's doing something bigger than any of us. I don't want to lose her after just getting her back, but I have no control over the situation."

Calix planted a gentle kiss onto my forehead, his soft lips lingering there before he looked back at me. "I promise we'll get through this. Together."

Together.

That word played through my mind as Calix intertwined our hands, lifting them up for me to see. I'm not alone like I once was. At the very least, I have my mate to help me through the hardest of times.

I hugged Calix and stood there, not moving. I inhaled, taking in the scent of his soap wash. It was one of my favorite smells, other than the flower garden of course.

"I think you should call a meeting. We have things to discuss with everybody else about the war," I suggested, stepping back.

Calix nodded, holding my face in his hands. I leaned into his touch, embracing the sparks that came along with his touch. The warmth that comes along with just a single touch of his hand always eases my mind. "Okay. I'll get dressed and call a meeting. Finish getting ready, yourself."

~-~

Calix and I sat beside each other in the meeting room, waiting as Cole took his seat. Calix cleared his throat. "Apologies for sudden meeting, but I feel like we have matters to attend to."

"Go on," Cole pressed, leaning his head on his hands.

"The attacks from Alastor are becoming more frequent. I think it's time we attack him instead. But before we do anything war or battle related, I think it's best we discuss Ryker," Calix began, looking around the room.