Chapter 44

A L M I R A

Chapter 44
Almira Davenport

It's been days since Raiya's passing. Calix said we should cremate her and then when I go to what was her kingdom, The Kingdom of Galadia, we'll bury her with Regional. I agreed with him.

Currently, the maids were frantically packing dresses, hair supplies, shoes, and a bunch of other items into chests to set in the wagon. They were preparing me for my trip to Galadia.

I, on the other hand, sat in the same spot I've been in for the past five hours, staring at myself in the mirror. I wasn't admiring anything or criticizing anything, just staring at myself, thinking.

I was thinking about the kingdom, the new people I was to lead, their reactions on me replacing Raiya so soon, and I was thinking do the coronation. Most of all, Alastor.

I hated that I was giving him the time to even invade my mind or give in to the worry about him attacking. It'd be absolutely horrible if he heard of the coronation date and crashed it. The commoners would be all confused and mixed up about their new queen suddenly going holy, since Abelia would be taking over my body.

"I understand you're absolutely mesmerizing, but don't you have other things to do other than stare at yourself all day?" Calix teased, kissing the top of my head before looking at me in the mirror.

I jumped and my eyes shot up to his before smiling. "Yeah, I do. I'm just really nervous, overthinking things."

Calix let out a small chuckle before rubbing my shoulders. "Taking the throne of a kingdom is a scary thing, especially when it's one you're not familiar with. Galadia has completely different customs than ours."

My eyes widened. "They're completely different from us and I wasn't told of this? Oh my stars! Calix! What if I make a mockery of myself? They'll never respect me," I whined, laying my head on the vanity table.

Calix shuffled behind me, the sound of my closet doors being opened up. I lifted my head up into my hands and watched Calix from the mirror. He grabbed a dress and laid it out for me, picking a pair of shoes to go with it.

"I think you'll be just fine. You'll have some time to pick up on things you need to know before the ceremony, and then you can learn all about their customs. Everything will be okay, I promise," Calix encouraged, smiling at me.

Mr heart fluttered at his words and his smile. He can be a really supportive guy sometimes, and I was thankful one of those times was now. I stood up and ambled to Calix, wrapping my arms around him. He returned the warm embrace.

We stood there, just holding each other, for a couple moments before Calix tucked a loose curl behind my ear. I looked up at him and smiled. "You're going to do great. Although, your coronation is in two days and they're already setting it up and decorating. If we want to get there on time, you need to get ready and be ready to leave in the next ten minutes."

I huffed and nodded, shuffling to the dress he set out for me. He didn't do so bad. It was an emerald green dress made of pure silk that flowed to the ground. The skirt was poofy and split in the middle, revealing the white ruffled fabric underneath. Along the edges and the bottom was gold floral carefully embroidered into the dress. The sleeves went to my elbows before fluffing out.

I slid the dress on and Calix button me in the back, tying the sewn-in corset for me. I took a deep breath, a part of me forgetting how tight they were. I let my hair fall loosely down onto my back, pulling a couple strands to the back and pinning them so they'd stay out of my face.