Chapter 35

A L M I R A

Chapter 35
Almira Davenport

I stared at the containers of blood in the room. I had managed to fill four shelves of my blood for Calix, successfully managing to heal myself every time. I felt bad hiding it from Calix, especially because of the river moment.

I shook my head. I'll tell him eventually, I just don't know when yet. I walked out of the room and down to the library to where Lauren, Ashli, Estelle, and Ambrielle were. This time I made sure to have another sane woman in the room. I almost got killed being alone with three very hormonal ladies.

Today we were just taking the spells easy. A couple spells to keep our people safe from the war and then a couple spells for prosperity.

All four of us witches linked hands and I spotted the sun mark on their wrists. All but Ambrielle had the Goddess's mark. My stomach churned and I felt a deep hole within, bringing my mood down.

The mark was a constantly reminder that I'm sentencing people to death. I hated it.

"Almira?" Ashli called out, looking at me with a worried expression.

My eyes snapped up to look at her. "Hm? What?"

"You spaced out for a moment there. Everything alright?" She replied, her eyebrows furrowing together.

I nodded my head. "Yeah, just thinking about the spell. No worries," I played it off. She hummed and we looked at the spell book before mumbling the spells.

About an hour or so later, we finished the spells and took a break. A loud sound echoed the castle and I became alert. "What was that?" I questioned, standing up.

"I'm not sure," Estelle answered.

I walked over to the window and looked out, gasping. There were vampires and wolves outside, intruding on our lands. It was another attack from i Alastor and Wryler.

"It's an attack. Stay here," I ordered, running out. I grabbed the enchanted sword I had from a knight's stand and then a hooded cape. I raced downstairs to run into Calix.

"It's Alastor and Wryler," I said, glancing towards the door.

"I know. I was alerted when they stepped foot on the border. You're going to fight, aren't you?" He questioned, looking at me with a worried expression.

I sighed and nodded. "Please don't try to stop me."

"I was going to tell you to be safe. I've learned my lesson, there is no stopping you from something when you have your mind made up," He chortled, looking at me.

I smiled and he pulled me in, kissing my temple. "If you need me, you know how to get me, right?"

"Blood-curling scream?" I joked, grinning.

Calix rolled his eyes. "No."

I laughed and kissed his cheek before walking towards the door. "I'll be okay, promise."

With that, we walked out and parted ways. I began to help warriors who were about to lose the fight against a wolf or vampire. The sword I carried slashed several throats and pierced many hearts.

I felt bad, but it was either these guys or mine, and I choose mine. I stood up a moment to catch my breath listening in for enemies. I heard footsteps coming from behind me and I turned around, clenching my sword.

Wryler stood behind me in wolf form, growling. It dawned on me: he was older than me. He was stronger. I stabbed my sword into the ground.

My bones began to crack and snap, taking on a new form. I stretched out in my wolf form before growling at Wryler. His wolf growled back and we kept at each other, snapping and biting.