iii. Help

I had spent the next few days almost entirely in the forest. I had a feeling that Dad was excited that I was warming up to the idea of being in Briarwood, our dinner conversations around the tiny kitchen table ranging from Dad's work to my new findings in the thicket of woods behind the cabin. He told me I would have to show him these new mystical places sometime when he got an off day, and I had to admit I was genuinely excited to.

There was something about that forest, something strange. It felt like exploring a new world and coming home all at the same time, a fantastic and magical natural escape and a warm and inviting place to rest.

I had taken pictures of all of my favorite places so far, making sure to leave little captions on the back of where I had found them, just so I could show all of them to Dad.

That afternoon after lunch I was about to head out again, bundling up a little more since it would probably get colder by the time dusk fell. I knew myself well enough to know I would be out exploring for a while, and even packed myself a little backpack of stuff for my camera and a few snacks should I get hungry.

I called out in the cabin that I was off, knowing that where ever Dad was, he would hear it. I greeted the chilling air and fresh scent of fir trees, practically skipping towards the forest. My heart locket seemed to glow a bit brighter today, or maybe that was my optimism making it seem that way.

I wandered around a part of the woods I hadn't explored yet, the air almost completely silent with the exception of a bird singing for a little bit. It was peaceful and relaxing, my weak heart getting the rest Dad desired for me as I took my time hiking and staring in amazement at my surroundings.

I had just decided to take a break and see if I could snap more photos, dropping my backpack to the ground, when I saw a fleeting blur of movement. My eyes darted from tree to tree, searching for something that accompanied me in these woods. I could've sworn I saw something.

I pulled my backpack back on as I cautiously looked around me. A mist was growing in the forest, and the clouds were starting to get darker, coloring the sky in somber shades of grey and dark blue. It looked like it was going to storm soon, but I honestly couldn't care less. I was determined to find the source of the movement I saw earlier.

I kept looking for the movement, my eyes catching sight of a fleeting glimpse of a slender figure running through the woods.

It was a young woman, no more than twenty five, dark waves flying behind her as she ran through the forest. It didn't take me long to decide to follow her, regardless of the consequences on my health. I quickly took off after her, my weak heart straining to pump the necessary blood through my veins. Regardless of the conditions of my heart, I managed to keep a visual of the woman. She wasn't wearing anything other than a red t-shirt and jeans, which I found a little strange. It was cold out, shouldn't she be more covered up?

The mist began blocking my vision as I tried my best to jump over fallen logs and race through the underbrush of the forest. I felt like I had to catch up to the woman, like she was someone important.

She was quick, my mind playing tricks on me and blurring the edges of her figure as we played chase through the thick forest. As I got closer, I could hear her pleasant laughter, her hair flying behind her like the mane of a stallion running wild and free.

Her laughter echoed among the trees, rebounding off tree trunks and haunting my mind. Who was she? She seemed so familiar to me, yet I couldn't remember her name.

My heart was pounding, sharp pains beginning in my chest. My body was begging me to stop, but I didn't allow myself to. I ignored the pain coursing through my body and kept chasing the woman.