Raising a Princess

As the years went by Fengjiu was happily growing in Qingqiu. When she was a little girl she was very naughty and playful and extremely spoiled by the entire family. She was also the apple of her father's eye. He didn't spare a single moment of his free time to play with her, to bring her specially made treats from the market and take her along with him when he visited friends.

The one that took he under his wing was Zhen Zhen. He used to go early mornings at Bai Yi's house and take her with him at Zhe Yan's peach orchard. She was there allowed to play, run around, climb trees, roll over in the tree petals that fell on the ground while Zhe Yan and Zhen Zhen were watching her and drinking tea. As she was spending most of her days there and roaming around Zhe Yan while he was working on making medicines, she developed an interest in plants and medicines and soon after she was assisted him in preparing various potions and powders. Zhe Yan was absolutely delighted that she's taking and interest and began teaching her as much as he could.

In the meantime Qian Qian was getting ready to become the queen of Qingqiu and Bai Zhe was teaching her the insights of what makes an excellent monarch. Although Fengjiu was playing on the floor next to them, the teachings were getting imbedded in her mind unknowingly. One day out of the blue, while she was playing with her dolls on the mat next to them she got up and she came near the table where Bai Zhe and Qian Qian were debating politics, she crawled into her grandfather's lap and announced with a royal air:
-One day I want to be queen too!
They both laughed and look at her with pride and Qian Qian said to her:
-First you have to grow up! Plus a monarch has to work very hard, be proficient in sword skills, read many books and be close to her subjects so she understands when to step up.

Fengjiu looked at her overwhelmed and she thought she is not doing any of this. But she took it to heart and decided she will do all this to be a queen as well. She answered with a stubborn look in her eyes:
-I want to be a queen! Teach me!
-Really? Then we shall send you to school tomorrow. Said Bai Zhe.
-School?
-Yes everyone has to go to school and learn.
-Can't you teach me grandfather?
-I will but first you have to go to school and prove yourself and then we can teach you how to be a queen.
-If this is how it works then I'll go.
-That's settles then.
She gave them a wide and proud smile. They both smiled back at her and carried on with the lessons.

***

Later in the evening when Bai Zhe took Fengjiu back to Bai Yi's house, he told him what Fengjiu said to them. Bai Yi was very proud and satisfied with his daughter's attitude and he pat her on her head. Fengjiu's mother called her to the kitchen and she run leaving the two man talking.

-Do you think is a good idea to pass the kingdom to Fengjiu?
-I think if you can make out of her a worthy ruler why not?
-What about Dijun?
-He said he won't interfere in the way we bring her up. Plus even if she is the queen of Qingqiu she can still manage.
-Also this will be in her advantage when dealing with Dijun. She needs a strong personality to be able to stand up to him if they disagree. We won't be able to be with her at every step.
-I think that's a very good idea.
-She is growing so fast soon. I dread the moment when we will have to tell her.
-I understand.Qian Qian will soon go to Kunlun mountain to train as a disciple and when she's coming back I'll pass the monarchy to her. When I retire I'll focus all my attention on teaching Fengjiu how to be a monarch. I am also sure that Qian Qian will assist too.
-That's a great plan. Let's do that then. It's settled.
-I am heading back then. Your mother is waiting for me.
-Are you sure you don't want to stay for dinner?
-Yes I am sure. She is probably waiting for me with dinner too! He said laughing.
-Ok then father I'll walk you out!

****

Fengjiu started schooling and she excelled at writing, poetry, sword fight, archery, weaponry, military strategies, history and geography. But she wasn't very good in Buddhist scriptures teaching. She just couldn't work out the double meaning of the simple words. She tried very hard but it was above her understanding. She was very disappointed.

In one of her school breaks she visited her aunt who just got back from Kunlun mountain and was crowned as the new queen of Qingqiu to ask her what she should do.

Qian Qian told her that Buddhist theories are a subject that needs years of intense learning for someone to completely absorb their meaning. Also there were only a few people in the six realms proficient in Buddhist dogmas. Among them were Dong Hua Dijun, God Mo Yan and Crown Price Ye Hua.
-Dong Hua Dijun? Who is that?
How, among the three of them, only the name of Dijun picked your interest thought Qian Qian.
-He is the former emperor of the six realms. The one that united them. Your grandfather used to be one of his generals and his right hand.
-And where does he live now?
-In the nine heavens. What's with the sudden interest?
-Nothing nothing is just interesting to hear about history and the past glory of grandfather.
-Hmmm...
-Ok then I'll have to go. I'm late.
-Where are you rushing to?
-Zhe Yan is waiting for me at the Ten Miles of Peach Blossom orchard to teach me how to play Go. Today is our first lesson and I am very excited.
-Ok then don't be late! And come to visit often. Being a queen is stressful and I need someone to play with. Plus I don't have anyone to cook for me.
-Gugu! Mother should have never teach me how to cook.
-Hahaha! That's your punishment for being such a smart ass! Go now.
-I'm going I'm going see you later then.
And with that off she went.