Donnatello Requires the Unconditional Surrender of Your Pants

The following day was much like the last, except that Niko went into town to do a couple of errands. Getting food, buying some more rope, and delivering some art. During those errands, Mallomor hid in Niko's shadow.

Out of his houseboat, Niko always wore a black boater hat.He gave no reason why.

Niko would often speak with Mallomor during this time, making him look a bit more deranged than usual.

Mallomor had to tell him this. "Don't you worry that people will stare at you when they see you talking to a man who isn't there?"

"They've convinced themselves I'm crazy already. What's the harm?"

During the errands, Mallomor had plenty of time to think about all the times where Niko had acted...off.

His body rejecting the possession, laughing after scratching him in the face, the musical performance last night, and now accepting his reputation as a deranged individual. The longer he hung around Niko, the less he thought he was human. Even the strangest humans never laughed after getting scratched in the face by a demon.

Mallomor was able to smuggle some mallomars into Niko's home, much to Niko's chagrin.

The rest of the day wasn't noteworthy. But at nightfall, Mallomor asked Niko a simple question.

"Why do you seem to avoid other humans? You never spoke with the humans you came across, and you always turn away when they address you. Were you hurt by someone?"

Niko got defensive. "I don't avoid humans. Otto-"

Mallomor shook his head. "Otto lives much further inland. I checked your phone and traced his location from there. Judging from your contacts, he's the only human you talk to regularly. You seem very lonely."

"I'm not lonely, I have Tsarina!"

"Tsarina is a cat. It's a wonder how you haven't gone mad yet."

"She still counts. What do you think, Tsarina?"

Tsarina, sitting on the windowsill, nodded.

Mallomor was frustrated, entering Niko's personal space. "SHE'S A CAT! Seriously, how is someone like you not with someone yet? I'm sure there's plenty of people who would be interested in a quirky artist like you."

Niko erupted into laughter. "Quirky? Me? That's a good one, Mallo, a very good one!"

Mallomor's tail swished in annoyance. "I was just trying to be nice. Though "quirky" is far too nice of a term."

"Call me mad again! Go ahead, do it! It's true! There's a reason I haven't shown my paintings to you."

A reason? More of a reason for me to find them.

After Niko left, Tsarina gave Mallomor one of Niko's sketch books.

Mallomor flipped through it, finding some observational studies. Of him.

From the proper length and shape of his horns, to the way his shadowy body acted in the light. It was all there, with supplementary notes.

The notes said things like "why so many wings?" to "the face of the demon is attractive, but the rest of him is too demonic".

Stupid humans. Being demonic is a compliment, not an insult!

Late in the night, Niko awoke, feeling arms around him, flinching when he saw a bat wing on the wrist.

I should've known that Mallomor would try this shit again.

"Mallomor?"

The voice was much deeper. "I'm not Mallomor, I'm Donnatello."

Niko noticed that the arms were much more muscular.

What the hell is it about me that attracts demons? I swear, this has to be part of a larger conspiracy!

Donnatello pulled Niko closer to him, his embrace tightening. Niko felt as if he was being crushed.

"Mmm...you're so soft and warm. I could hold you in my arms forever."

"Yes, that's nice. Could you leave? Now?"

Donnatello did not take the hint.

"No, just be quiet and let me hold you."

Mallomor appeared from the shadows, horrified.

"Donnatello? Why are you here? And cuddling with Niko?"

Donnatello sat up, his grip on Niko firm.

"Is he your pet?" The question was aimed towards Mallomor, but Niko answered it. "Yeah, he's kinda annoying, but he looks after me well enough. He even gets along with my other pets!"

Donnatello chuckled, stroking Niko's curly hair. "Looks like you're good for conversation."

Niko glared at Donnatello, but Mallomor knew exactly what would happen next.

"Stay away from him! You came to talk to me, not Niko! So why don't you come and talk with me in the other room?" Mallomor tugged on Donnatello's wrist wings, but Donnatello smacked him away.

"You can wait. But this" His glowing blue eyes showed a hunger. "Cannot."

The moment that Donnatello's arm got close to Niko's waistband, Niko bit it. And then the electric saliva kicked in.

Mallomor wasn't sure how to react to his crush electrocuting his boss, other than bewilderment.

Donnatello went back to Hell to get treatment for his severe electrical burns.

Mallomor asked Niko what he just did.

"I electrocuted him, Where's the issue?"

"You're not human, are you?"

"Not at all."

"Then what are you?"

Niko's expression hardened. "Why the hell should I tell you?"

 "Why the hell should I tell you?"