Chapter 9

Three days pass in a blur. I don't go back to the willow tree. I don't send him any letters. I don't open anything he sends me. All I do is help with the goats, and take care of Ariana. Aberforth even disapproves of me using magic around Ariana, because he thinks that that could upset her. Each day is the same and nothings changes. Nothing changes and I'm sick of it. I ache to be back with Gellert again and I hate it. 

"Al?"  Ariana asks as we peel potatoes.

"Hm?" I say without looking up, not really paying attention to what I was doing.

"Why are you sad?" 

"Who said I was sad?" I respond dully.

"Your eyes," She says softly. "What happened?" I set down my knife and sit in the nearest chair. I lean on my knees and put my face in my hands. She sits next to me. "What happened?" She repeats.

"Me and Gellert fought," I say finally, hanging my head. His pained face still echoing in my mind, my heart aches. He thought I would understand his reasoning, but I hurt him. Ariana places a gentle hand on my knee, breaking through my thoughts and grounding me back to reality.

"You love him don't you?" She says. I jerk my head upwards, my heart racing.

"Y-yeah he's my best friend!" I say quickly, not wanting her to know. Not wanting anyone to know.

"No, Albus, you truly love him," Her eyes soften and she takes my hand. I quickly scan the room for Aberforth.

"How could you tell?" I whisper.

"Your eyes," she grins. "They look like Mother's when ever she used to talk about Father,"

"And you don't think it's bad?" I ask in amazement. She shakes her head.

"Why would it be? It's still love isn't it?" I open my mouth but no words come out. All I can think to do is hug her, and so I do. She squeezes me tightly and I just start crying. 

When Gellert came he brought a whole new wave of emotions that I never knew I could feel. I knew I had to hide them. I never would have thought that it's just love. Ariana's blind acceptance might as well have changed my entire world view. I don't have to hide who I love.

She lets go and I wipe my eyes.

"How bad was the fight?" She asks.

"Bad," I say, "I found out he'd been lying about how he was expelled,"

"Oh! That's what you and Aberforth fought about at breakfast yesterday. Why did he do that?"

"Abe hates Gellert, and I think now I know why. But in my head I kept thinking that it was all a misunderstanding, that he didn't want to hurt those people, but it wasn't. He knew what he was doing. He thought that I would understand, but I pushed him away and ran. I can't get the look of his face out of my head," or the feel of his lips against my skin. My heart aches.

"You're a good person Albus. I can tell that you really love him. Can't you make him change?" She asks.

"I don't know," I shake my head.

She puts a hand on my knee and looks me straight in the eye.

"Try,"

I speed through my chores, ignoring Aberforths constant judgment and criticisms. I wolf down my dinner, grab my shoes and leave. I dash down the village roads and through the field to the willow tree as soon as the sun starts setting. My feet ache as I push aside the willow branches.

Gellert's already there. Blond hair reflecting the sun. Darkened blue eyes staring through the branches at the sky. Clothes the most disheveled I've ever seen. Time seems to stop as he turns towards me. My heart beating out of my chest.

"Albus," he breathes, scrambling to his feet. We stand staring at each other for a moment. Both of us wanting to run to the other. Both hesitant to do so and unsure of what else to do.

"I love you!" I finally admit. "I really really love you Gellert,"

"Al-," He starts, taking a step towards me.

"Wait," I stop him. "But that doesn't mean that I agree with what you did. Promise me that you won't ever hurt people like that again,"

"Albus, I can't p-,"

"Promise me Gellert!" I shout. 

He softens. "Al you have to understand, if we are to truly change the world people are going to get hurt. People don't like change and they're going to fight back, that's just the way of revolution,"

"I understand that, but promise that you won't hurt people for your own personal gain,"

"I promise," as soon as he says that I immediately throw my arms around him. He kisses me as if it might be our last. Lips soft and irresistible. His rough hands roaming my body. I've missed this so much.

We lay in the grass beneath the willow tree. The sun had long gone and crickets chirped in the summer heat. My head rests on Gellerts bare chest, his arms wrapped around me.

"Let's never fight again, okay?" I say, gently running my fingers over his hand.

"Couples fight," Gellert responds. "There's not really a way around it,"

"I know that, but with our magic. We're both extremely powerful and I don't want to accidentally hurt you," I say.

"Is this about the knockback jinx you used on me?" He asks. I feel my guilt crawling down my back.

I nod. "But I wasn't thinking at the time and I could have used something a lot more powerful,"

"I don't think you'd be able to actually do any serious damage if we ever got into a duel. I am very skilled in dueling," He laughs.

"Gellert be serious," I say, flicking him in the head.

"I am!" He replies. I glare at him. "Okay, if it means so much to you we can make a blood pact,"

"Okay," I smile up at him. He runs a hand through my hair and we share a gentle kiss. "I love you Gellert,"

"I love you too Albus,"