Ch 2: Live at The Stone Pony

WEDNESDAY, SEPT 5, 2018

The final bell rings and I head downstairs to my locker. I spin the lock around a bunch, trying to open it which has been a struggle all day. A huge group of students nearly trample me as they sprint down the halls to the senior parking lot exit so they don't get stuck behind the buses. I narrowly dodge their inane rush and focus on the instructions Rosie told me to do to open this thing.

Three times to the right, then back left, then again to the right. Or was it to the number, then all the way around left? Or was it three times to the left first?

I keep spinning the thing, getting nowhere.

"Still having trouble?" I turn to find Rosie and nod. She smiles and helps open my locker with ease and I sigh.

"Don't worry, you'll get it," she encourages me. Rosie leans against the locker next to mine. "So, we never actually got your address."

"Well, that definitely makes coming over harder," I say, realizing how dumb I am.

"It's fine. Jennie said she can just drive the four of us to your place and I can text the guys from the car. They're waiting for us in the senior lot."

"Were they in that stampede that nearly killed me?" I ask.

"No," Rosie giggles. "They usually do the opposite and wait for the buses to leave because then there's basically no traffic at all."

We leisurely walk in the wake of the stampede. The door leading out to the senior parking lot was near the gym. With limited parking, Wakefield High required that every senior needs a partner if they were going to be given a parking spot. Jennie and Jisoo, naturally, were partners. I follow Rosie outside to find a long line of cars heading towards the parking lot's exit. Coach Roy was standing in the road, stopping the seniors as the buses exited the school. Jennie and Jisoo hadn't even bothered to get into Jennie's car, a brand new 2019 Kia Soul that was matte black in the front but faded into a glossy pink in the back and had a white roof.

"That's Jennie's car?" I ask, my mouth hanging open.

"Yeaaaah," Rosie says, "Jennie's family is... well-off."

"No kidding," I say. My family wasn't poor by any means thanks to my stepfather being the renowned chef he is, but I knew there was no way I'd be able to get a brand new car while I was still in high school. The insurance alone must be a killer!

Jennie and Jisoo look up at us and smile.

"Where the fuck are we going, Lisa?" Jennie shouts jokingly.

Rosie and I jog walk over to the car and I give them my address. Jennie starts plugging it into Google Maps and Rosie texts the guys.

We chit-chat about school and what Rosie, Jennie, and Jisoo do for fun. Rosie is really into singing and playing her guitar. Not on the same level as Xero is, she prefers to play more casually.

Jennie seems to be a bit of a rich princess in that she referred to "shopping" as one of her hobbies. It must be nice to have that much money to spend like that.

Jisoo is, interestingly enough, a big gamer. She apparently has a beastly computer at home she built herself and she loves playing her Nintendo Switch.

We chatted for about five minutes before piling into Jennie's car and heading to my house.

When we pull into my driveway, a black panel van with a big white decal of Xero's logo on the side pulls up along the curb in front of my house.