Ch 14: Battle of the Bands

FRIDAY, MAY 17, 2019

I sit in choir, chatting with the girls as we wait for the bell to ring and classes to start.

"So, how's Y/N doing with therapy?" Jisoo asks.

"Better. I think it's really helping him."

"And how are you doing?" Rosie asks, "I still have nightmares from... you know."

"I did for a while but then Y/N started texting me every night before bed so if I did, I could look at them and know he's ok. That's been a really big help for me."

"I still can't believe he didn't face any charges," Jennie says. "Not that I want him to! Just police tend to be really strict on drugs."

"Yeah. I vaguely remember one of the officers talking to me about something but I was so out of it. I hardly remember anything after Rosie called 911."

Suddenly, Brendon and Ari burst into the classroom. "Guess who's band is getting signed to Reprise Records!" Brendon shouts.

"What are you talking about Brendon?" Jennie asks, "Why would anyone want to sign-?"

"The contest!" I shout, cutting Jennie off. "You guys got into the Battle of the Bands?!"

"Yep. I'll be sure to give you a call once I'm famous." He winks and gives me a smirk which causes me to cringe.

Ari looks at her boyfriend offended and pulls his back into the hallway.

"Did Xero get in?" I ask the girls. All of them shake their heads.

"I haven't heard anything," Jennie says. "Y/N hasn't texted you?"

"No!"

Y/N walks into the room, looking over his shoulder in fear as we briefly hear the sound of Brendon and Ari fighting in the hallway. Y/N looks up at us and points to the door, "Trouble in paradise?"

"Did you make it? Did Xero qualify?" I ask, eagerly.

"We don't find out until tomorrow the 17th."

"TODAY'S THE 17TH!" All four of us shout at him.

"Wait what?!" He rips his phone out of his pocket and checks his email with fervor.

After a few seconds that seem to each last an eternity, Y/N slowly looks up at us with a blank face.

He exhales.

And smiles.

All four of us scream as we jump out of our seats and pull him into a hug.

"I gotta tell the guys!" Y/N beams. Opening the group chat and recording a voice memo. "WE'RE GOIN' TO STATES!"

Excited texts from the band pour into Y/N's phone and I hug him again and give him a big kiss. "I knew you all would."

"Really? You seemed pretty doubtful on Valentine's Day."

I playfully smack his arm. "I always believed in you."

He grabs my hand and pulls me out of the classroom, through the hallway and into the empty auditorium. "Y/N, what are you doing? Class is gonna start soon!"

He stops and holds both my hands as he looks into my eyes. "Lisa. Without you, I don't know if I would've been able to do any of this."

"What do you mean? You guys were just as talented before we met. I didn't make you any more qualified than you already were."

"But if it weren't for you, I don't know if I would still be standing here."

My heart drops.

"Lisa, I've been going to therapy for a little over a month now and you know what he asked me yesterday?"