Ch 8: Last Resort

FRIDAY, NOV 2, 2018

I watch as Xero finishes recording another song and exits the studio, excited with the progress they've made so far on the album. I give Y/N a hug.

"That was great! You guys are so talented."

"Uhh, thanks," he says, slightly confused.

A hug might've been too strong. I have to tell him how I feel.

"Hey, Y/N-" I'm suddenly cut off by a knock on the door leading out to the driveway.

"Oh, they must be here," Y/N says going over to the door.

He opens it to reveal that blue-haired death chick, Alissa along with some guy with long red hair.

"Hey!" Alissa says giving Y/N a quick hug. "Thanks for the invite!"

The two walk into the Machine Shop and Alissa waves to all of us.

"Hey, guys! Nice to see you again." She motions to the guy with her. "This is Mike Amott. He's one of the guitarists for Arch Enemy. Y/N invited us over to jam a little."

"Fuck yeah!" Roose says excitedly before walking over to give Mike a handshake and introduce himself.

"You drove all the way from Newark for this?" I ask her. "Isn't that like a 45-minute drive?

"It was no big deal. We weren't busy today or tomorrow so-" Alissa begins to answer.

"Oh! You're sleeping over now?" I ask.

"N-no," she stammers. "I just meant... I'm sorry. Did I do something?"

She looks at me, genuinely confused and concerned.

I simply roll my eyes and plop down on the couch and flip through the old Kerrang!'s again.

"Don't mind Lisa," I hear Y/N say. "She's been acting weird all day."

WOW! Ok. Fuck you too then Y/N!

I close my eyes in frustration.

The simple fact he invited her over feels threatening to me, but it shouldn't. Y/N and I aren't dating, I haven't shown any interest in dating him since homecoming. It makes sense for him to test the waters with other attractive women. It could be worse. He could've invited Alex.

I listen in on Y/N's conversation with Alissa without looking away from the magazine that's feigning my interest . Rip must've joined them because I hear his voice.

"So, what kinds of music do you guys play. Is it just the metal or...?"

"Well, Arch Enemy is really just metal," Alissa says. "I actually also do musical theatre at Newark Arts High School and sing in the choir so I'm down with basically anything."

Oh, well aren't you just so special?

"I prefer playing metal," says an unrecognizable voice. I peek over to see the guy, Mike, talking. "But I know a lot of other popular rock songs on guitar too."

"If you guys don't mind, since you already heard us live, we'd love to listen to you guys play some of your original music for us. I looked you guys up when we got home from the show and you're really good!"

"Oh yeah!" Y/N says eagerly. "Of course. Did you have one in mind?"

"Y/N," Rosie butts in. "Why don't you guys play the song you just recorded! I'm sure they'd really like it!"

Rosie, why would you suggest that? You know they don't let outsiders hear stuff before release.

"Yeah, why not," Y/N says. "It's already finished so there's no harm."