Chapter 20 Back to square one

A/N: I'm continuing this having given my other story some much needed attention.

Chapter 20 Back to square one

To passers-by you and Lloyd probably looked like crazy scientists. Not that at least one of you wasn't, but the messy hair, half lidded eyes, slight hunch and wobbly steps as you headed to freshen up didn't help. It had been two consecutive days of non stop work and you had one more to get everything done. Technically half a day because there was also the procedure to perform, which would need you in top shape.

"What were we doing again?" You asked, water still dripping down your face as you fumbled around to find the paper towels.

"The motors are still acting up. We were going to…" Lloyd said, trailing off.

Even he was so exhausted… Well… it had been a while since either of you has worked like that. With a look and a nod you both headed to the cafeteria, probably scaring the cook working there just by virtue of how early you were there.

"Anything is fine." Lloyd said, pushing a tray and taking out his student ID.

You sat down and pretty much everything became a blur. The next clear sensation was ringing in your ears. It took you a second to realise that was the bell at which point you shot up, shaking Lloyd awake and running to the lab.

Luckily no one had been inside so you began working. And by the time Lloyd returned you were already connecting yourself up to test the leg.

"Let's just run the previous program and see if it works."

You did just that and other than a higher sensitivity to the controls and the decrease in compatibility you were expecting. Though it was luckily lower than expected, probably from all the fiddling you had done with the hardware.

You only had time for a relieved sigh, before Lloyd's phone rang. He checked the caller ID and scrambled to get up. You disconnected and waited to see what was happening.

"I have to go. There are a few things to prepare. Can you finish up here?"

"So I'm qualified enough to do things on my own?" you asked jokingly.

"As long as it doesn't end up like the last time." he responded, dashing out the door with his stuff.

You shrugged and sat down. By now only optimisation was an option, with how little time was left. Yet the fact your version of the program wasn't working still bugged you. So you began working on the two in parallel, comparing them again. With no place to sleep you pretty much had to stay here anyway.

Timeskip

By the time evening rolled around you were still working and the conclusion was becoming more and more assistant, in spite of your attempts to disprove it.

"I'm sorry, but I really have to ask something." a female voice said from the other side of the monitor.

"Just… Let me finish!" you exclaimed, had deliriously. "Just this one thing. Then I'll go, just a little more."

"E-excuse me?"

You saw the girl from the other day, looking a bit tense. Realising you had probably said too much you immediately slapped your face to wake up a little.

"I was… talking to myself, weren't I?" you asked, looking embarrassed.

"Yeah… look, I really need to know if Y/N returned here. Did your friend mention anything?"