Message in A Dream

I raised a hand and cradled a small cherry blossom carefully in my palm. I stared at it with hazed and distant eyes, my mind wondering on my dream from last night. An orange glow struck my back and I turned, staring at the sunset and taking in the remarkable mix of colors. I peered at the blossom once more as I plucked it from its tree and sitting on the cliff's edge.

I heard footsteps near me along with the distinct sound of bamboo hitting rock. I didn't move or acknowledge as my sensei sat next to me. I continued to look at the deflect flower in my hands.

"Why do my dreams feel so real….?" I whispered, more to myself. I noticed him turn to me out of the corner of my eye. "I felt the snow and the burning rocks… I felt the fear when I saw the chasm… it is so real…" It took me a minute to realize I was shaking lightly. I slowly turned my head to Sensei and looked him in his youthful eyes. "I don't want to sleep anymore Sensei… I- I'm scared of what will happen. What if I fall in the chasm…?"

Sensei Wu only lowered his head in thought. "Zane… you must sleep and acknowledge me of what your dreams are about. Perhaps these dreams are making you stronger."

"If that is true then I do not want to be stronger… even if it means the Serpentine best me…" I whispered helplessly.

"Do not lose hope." Sensei Wu said strictly as he stood. I bit my lip as he walked away. I lowered my head.

"Yes, Sensei…" I whispered at the blossom in my hands. A gust of wind blew the flower from my hands and swirled it in the air. I watched as it danced away into the sunset.

(Later that night)

I listened to my brothers' breathing as I say in my bed. I swallowed deeply before closing my eyes. I felt a knot tie itself in my throat as I was slowly pulled into another one of my dreams…

A soft, caring hand was rested around my cheek. I slowly opened my eyes to see a familiar white feather on a rock near my head. I blinked twice before turning my head. I saw the young angel girl from my dreams. I crawled away from her hesitantly and I saw her golden glow dim, allowing me to get a good look at her.

She was no more than 6 years of age! Her hair was the same color as mine and went to her waist. She wore a perfect white dress that went to her ankles. She was barefoot. I felt scared when I saw her eyes. They were the exact same as mine. Soft, calm and filled with ice.

She seemed hurt when I pulled away from her, and he cradled into a small ball, her wings pulled around her small body. Why did I feel that I should comfort her, because she saved me, or because it was the right thing to do? I slowly crawled to her and stroked her head caringly. She looked up at me with those icy eyes.

"Zane… go home…" She whispered.

"What?"

"Go to the house in the Birch Wood Forest… look at the wall under the fifth step… please hurry…"

I only stared as she stood her wings out. She glanced back at me, her eyes sparkling. She whispered one last thing before she flew off.

Please don't forget who you are….