The Chasm and the Light

"Zane!"

I tore through the mass of birch trees, not caring for the scratches that the bark gave me. My white and pale blue stripped pajamas didn't provide very good protection against the frigid cold threatening to give frostbite to my exposed toes. I felt the air tear at my mechanically designed lungs. My years of training as a ninja made my legs strong and sturdy against the icy ground I fled on.

"Zane!" The girl's voice shouted again. "Please! Stop running!"

I turned my head, despite how it went against my training. I tried to clearly see her features but before my eyes focused I felt a large branch slap against my head. I saw red spots in my vision as I got up thinking to myself how much it felt like Sensei's bamboo stick. I noticed the girl get closer so I turned and continued to run.

I gasped as the forest around me shimmered and transformed before my eyes. The birch trees had small flames and looked burnt and crisp. The cold snow turned into hot coals beneath my feet. Ashes fell on my face, their heat causing me to faintly wince. Lightning flashed again as the girl shouted my name again.

The ground in front of me twitched. I took a sharp intake of air as I flailed my hands, trying to keep my balance as I stood at the edge of a cliff on my toes. Below was a never-ending chasm that looked dark and forbidden. It gave my stomach a sickening feeling. A bolt of lightning struck the rocks at my feet, causing the coals to shatter. I squeezed shut my eyes as the darkness got closer.

Something wrapped around my wrist. It was caring and warm. I looked up and saw a golden glow surround the girl so I couldn't see her features. All I saw was angel wings, which flapped as she kneeled on the remaining rocks trying to pull me up. The whole world twitched violently and a bolt of black lightning struck the rocks below her. As we fell I saw a black shuriken dug into the coals. The angel tried to carry us both with her beautiful wings but it was just too much weight. I felt my hand slip and I gave a hoarse cry as the blackness's cold touched my toes.

"ZANE! Zane are you ok?"Kai's voice shouted. I opened my eyes and looked around as I sat up. Jay, Cole and Kai were around my bunk.

"What happened…." I whispered.

"We saw you sleeping peacefully when we woke so we left you," Cole started.

"After lunch we got worried since you never sleep in at all." Jay stated.

"When we came in you were shaking and sweating." Kai finished.

"I slept past lunch!?" I exclaimed as I stood. Everyone nodded. I sighed. "Excuse me while I explain to Sensei-"

"No need. You have strange dreams? I would like to hear about them." Sensei said as he walked in. I nodded and sat back down. I exhaled before I began.