Rigged

Kazan isn't really famous for her street food. She isn't the best place in Russia to dine grandly either. But the one place which everyone visits is the Central Market. It gave you a good idea of the atmosphere you'd experience in a typical Tatar Bazaar.

The lanes are packed with vendors, side stalls, and mini-shops around every corner. There's hardly any space for vehicles, just a riding cycle for the sellers was feasible. Laila had been there once or twice along with her friends. Mila in particular was a great guide. She knew the price rates well along with a gift in her creative methodology to bargain. She had been to the Central Market with her Abu too, just once for eating Zefir. The marshmallowy dessert was pink with a smooth and creamy texture. It reminded her of the French Marshmallow but this one had a fruity taste to it. This time, however, Laila's trip wasn't for a taste of Zefir.

She was going there to deal a bag of cocaine.

To say that Laila was nervous was a major understatement but that was nothing new. These days Laila was always nervous, it was a feeling that she was very much used to now. If she felt anything close to calmness then there was something...wrong with the situation. Very wrong. So sitting in front of the GV80 with one hand on the steering and the other playing with her sleeves she felt almost normal. For now, she wasn't fidgeting like she was in front of Anthony.

Laila was a calm driver. She was perhaps in her most relaxed state when she was driving herself around. Beside her was the black duffel bag with its contents peaking from one side. Brutus was seated behind with a stranger who was accompanying them for their test. Of course, there was another man, there was no way the supervisor was dumb enough to send the pair alone on their first run. Someone was going to watch them and Laila was aware of it.

It was strange, that she could go from a rather mundane daily situation to thinking that this was normal too and Laila guessed the strangest part was how comfortable her body was getting with this situation.

Strange and scary.

Her phone chimed as she received a text from Mila, the girl asking if she reached the market safely.

Mila:

Did you reach safely?

Yes, mother.

Milovich. Just don't get arrested you Suka.

A silent heave escaped her mouth as she rechecked the address provided to her. The place was different every time to keep local eyes from getting curious. Adoratskogo Ul., bld. 39/Б, appt. 98. This was the place.

She parked her car around the entry of the market, killing the engine. She checked Brutus from her rearview giving him a slight nod. She got out of the driver's seat, making her way to the other side. She ran her sweaty palms from her hair, rubbing the excess on her jacket. Pulling the bag down from its seat into her hand, she proceeded to close the door.

"We hardly have fifteen minutes. Make it quick." The stranger spoke, almost growling. They walked through the crowd avoiding bumping into anyone. A black cap was enough to divert attention away from the pair's faces. It was cold and harsh winds forced everyone to just get what they wanted and leave, minding their own pretty business.

Walking further in its lanes and arenas, Laila spotted the building they were supposed to go to. The apartment was a tall building. In fact, it was massive, a towering structure of a Gargoyle made of concrete right on top. Brutus held the door for Laila and the stranger taking a glance at their surroundings carefully. Two men were guarding the doorway through which they passed quite easily. Strange. The entrance towards the apartment door had a carpet rolled out over the steps all the way towards the exit. Laila briefly wondered if this was showbiz.