Chapter 3

No one spoke at breakfast until a servant came in.

He carried an envelope on a silver platter, and he bowed before placing it in front of King Clarkson. The king took the letter and read it quickly. "Damn French," he muttered. "Sorry, Amberly, it looks like I'll be leaving within the hour."

"Another problem with the trade agreement?" she asked quietly.

"Yes. I thought we'd settled all this months ago. We need to be firm on this one." He stood, throwing his napkin on his plate, and made his way to the door.

"Father," Maxon called, standing. "Don't you want me to come?" It had struck me as odd that the king didn't bark out a command for his son to follow when he exited, seeing as that was his usual method of instructing. Instead he turned to Maxon, his eyes cold and his voice sharp.

"When you're ready to behave the way a king should, you'll get to experience what a king does." Without saying anything more, he left us.

Maxon stood for a moment, shocked and embarrassed by his father's choice to call him out in front of everyone. As he sat down, he turned to his mother. "Wasn't really looking forward to that flight, if I'm being honest," he said, joking away the tension. The queen smiled, as of course she must, and the rest of us ignored it.

--in the halls sitting on a bench--

"I'm sorry you didn't get to go Maxon. It was probably because of me," I said sadly.

"No, I'm glad I don't have to go this time. I just wish he hadn't called me out in front of everyone."

"I get what you mean," I said laying my head on his shoulder.

"Would you like to go for a walk in the gardens? Since my father is leaving, my presence shouldn't be requested for a meeting right now."

"That sounds wonderful."

Coming to the gardens with Maxon is my favorite thing to do here. I seem to just forget all of my worries and take in the beauty of everything.

"So Celeste came to talk to me before breakfast."

"And how did that go?"

"Well she wanted to know why I was coming out of your room late last night with wrinkled clothes," he said chuckling.

"And what did you tell her?" I asked.

"I told her that since I had a meeting run late and couldn't make it to our date that I went to visit you after instead. Of course that didn't explain everything, but she didn't press any further. Did anyone ask you about what happened?"

"Actually she went and talked to you because I told them that if they had any questions that they could ask you."

"Oh, well thanks for putting it all on me," he said teasingly.

"You're very welcome your highness," I said giggling.

He kissed me and then we had to go back inside. Yay, another boring day of sitting through Sylvia's lectures. At least I know it will be worth it in the end though since I already know Maxon is going to choose me. I hope Maxon comes to see me later. I like seeing him every chance I get.

"Alright girls, today we are going to be learning about the Queen's duties. Therefore Queen Amberley is going to have a one on one conversation with each of you after our lecture."

That was probably one of the most boring lectures she has ever given. She didn't even cover much content she just kept repeating stuff.

"America." I'm the last one to go. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.