Chapter 1

Seventh year. Merlin, it seemed like time had just rushed past, but Hermione supposed that was inevitable when there was a War brewing. It was hard to believe she was returning to Hogwarts during the beginning of a war, but Harry and Ron had both agreed with her when she'd said the younger students would need someone to rely on. Dumbledore had entrusted Harry with the horcrux hunt so he couldn't be the one to do it and Ron didn't function very well alone, so that had left Hermione to be the one who returned.

When she'd gotten a letter from Headmaster Snape that she'd been assigned head girl, it had made it that much more important she be the one who returned. Who knew who the head boy was and leaving the students to the mercy of Death Eaters for teachers and abitious Slytherin students didn't sound like a good idea.

Arriving at Platform 9 3/4 with just Ginny felt strange nonetheless. Harry and Ron had already left on their hunt and the other Weasleys didn't want to be so exposed when they were all Order members. Having the twins continue their joke shop in Diagon Alley even seemed a bit dangerous, but it was also a good way to keep an eye out on those who wandered through the shops.

"You're sure you don't want me to meet the head boy with you?" Ginny asked as they hauled their trunks onto the train. "What if it's someone wretched like Avery?" Ginny suddenly gasped and grabbed Hermione's arm, making her drop her trunk and reach for her wand. "What if it's Pucey? Or even Montague?"

"I won't be attacked on the train, Ginny," Hermion said, trying to slow her racing heart when she realised they were not about to be attacked. "And please don't scare me like that."

Ginny sheepishly apologised before making Hermione promise to find her before the prefect meeting and immediately after meeting the head boy. Hermione swore she would and the two parted ways for the moment.

It was her duty as head girl to meet with the head boy for the first thirty minutes or so of the train ride after all. They were supposed to organise prefect patrol and devise a plan for the school year to present to the prefects later on. During the last hour of the train ride, the prefects would all meet together to go over the routes and schedule before disbanding to patrol the train cars.

Usually, Hermione would be excited about such a meeting, but the worry about who she'd be meeting was eating away at her. There was no doubt in her mind Snape had given the head boy position to the child of a Death Eater to keep up appearances with Voldemort and Hermione was worried. She was supposed to work with this boy the entire year and she didn't want to worry about being hexed or injured every time they met.

Stepping into the prefect's train car, Hermione held her breath as she looked around. She wasn't sure if it was a relief or not that the car was empty. She had a few more minutes to herself, but she also had extra time to worry about who the head boy could be.

She'd just sat down when the car door opened and a familiar blond head ducked inside. It took her a second to realise Draco wasn't just stopping by to say hi and when she noticed the head boy badge gleaming on his robes, she sighed in relief.

"It's you," she breathed happily.

Draco smiled and closed the curtains of the train car as he made his way over to her. As soon as he was within an arm's reach, she jumped to her feet and hugged him tightly.

"I told Snape he couldn't appoint anyone else if he was making you head girl," Draco told her, pressing a kiss to the side of her head. The action surprised her, but she didn't mention it. He pulled away and looked her over subtly. "He didn't try to argue with me."

"I was so worried it would be Pucey or Avery," she replied. Draco just stared at her and Hermione frowned. She pressed her hand to his head and he blinked, pulling back sharply before realising it was just her. "Are you alright? You look..."

She wasn't quite sure what he looked like, but sick or worried seemed to be the best description.

"I'm fine," he assured her. He pulled away from her fully and motioned to the seat she'd just been sitting in. She sat back down and he sat across from her. "I imagine you have routes and schedules already planned out?"

"Oh, yes!" she said. She summoned her folder and laid out the parchment plans on the table between them. Draco looked them over, nodding occasionally before handing them back to her.

"You partnered them based on dueling skill," he commented. Hermione chewed on her lip and nodded. "Why?"

"With the Carrows teaching this year, I'm worried some students might have real fights in the halls," she said quietly. Draco nodded and glanced back at the parchment sheets.

"You chose good pairs," he assured her, "They should be able to handle it."

Hermione nodded, but didn't say her biggest concern were the Slytherin prefects. She'd had to pair them together as she knew sending them for nightly rounds with anyone else would likely result in chaos, but she was worried they wouldn't do anything to protect the younger students who weren't in Slytherin.

"Oh!" she said, almost jumping out of her seat. Draco's hand shot to his wand and she immediately felt bad for startling him. "Sorry, it's nothing bad," she promised, standing up as she spoke. "I just have to go tell Ginny not to worry. We didn't know you were head boy so she's probably worrying right now. I'll be back though; promise."

Before Draco could call for her to stop, she was rushing from the train car and hurrying to find Ginny. She had left her bag and notes behind as she was planning on returning to Draco, but first she had to tell Ginny she'd be alright.