Chapter 16

Hermione was very happy to fall asleep in the common room, curled up in Draco's arms. Every now and then, he would sigh contentedly and Hermione couldn't help but smile. Hermione was content when she finally did fall asleep but wondered if Draco would return to avoiding her or finally decide to talk to her.

She got the answer the next morning when she walked out of the bathroom. Draco had left three very visible hickey marks on her neck that she had to cover with a concealment charm. As soon as she'd walked into the common room, he'd pulled her to his chest and ran his fingers over where the marks would have been.

"You covered them up," he said, frowning at her. His fingers tickled her neck and Hermione shied away from them, smiling up at him even when he continued to frown.

"The whole school doesn't need to see them, Draco," she said. His frown deepened so Hermione stretched up to kiss him briefly. He immediately locked his arms around her so she couldn't pull away quickly and she gave him a look.

"I won't see you in first block," he told her as if that would explain his behavior. "I deserve more than that."

Hermione rolled her eyes and pulled away from him. She summoned her book bag from upstairs and grabbed Draco's hand, interlocking their fingers.

"If you promise to talk to me about this later," she said, motioning between them, "Then I'll kiss you more."

Draco's eyes flashed to silver for a moment, something they had done a lot of last night, but he nodded. He pressed a kiss to the side of her head and Hermione smiled.

"I'll see you in class," she promised. She left the dorm room for the Great Hall, leaving Draco to get ready on his own.

Ginny was, of course, waiting for her at the Gryffindor table with Neville. They didn't talk as they ate; instead, they listened to Neville talk about a plant he had read about recently and how he thought it might be a suitable replacement for cornish pixies in some potions.

"It grows in the same area the pixies live, but can be used without really changing the potion!" he said excitedly. Hermione smiled as she took a drink of her orange juice. Neville continued until they had to leave for their first class, but by then Hermione was sure he had to have run out of things to say.

The day went by quickly and before Hermione knew it, she was leaving the Great Hall after dinner. She'd seen Draco often that day both during and between classes, but he seemed to have disappeared right before dinner. She hadn't thought much of it until she heard someone say his name around the corner.

Part of her didn't want to spy, but the other part of her was too curious to keep going. She quickly tiptoed to the corner of the hallway and pressed her back against the stone wall. They were far enough from the Great Hall not to be seen or heard, but every time the door opened, Hermione struggled to hear what was being said just a few meters away.

"—have disappointed the Dark Lord," a familiar voice sneered. There was a thud and Hermione grimaced at the thought of someone getting punched.

"You could have killed someone!" Draco hissed back, "Werewolves in Hogwarts? That was careless."

"No, they were only there for you," a second voice hissed.

Hermione frowned. The werewolves had been sent by someone? To attack Draco specifically?

"You shouldn't have let a mudblood get in your head, Draco," the first voice said. There was some shuffling and someone—probably Draco, if Hermione had to guess—grunted. "You're lucky your father tried to advocate for you or the Dark Lord would have killed you."